[AfrICANN-discuss] ICANN Africa Event in Addis 5-8 March 2013

Ben Fuller abutiben at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 17:04:05 SAST 2013

McTim,

Agreed. But becoming a registrar is fairly simple. We have +/- 20 in
Namibia. Some do a good job and are active, others do not. When people
approach us to become registrars they have learned a bit about DNS and web
hosting. If they don't have the capital for their own servers, they use
existing DNS/hosting services. From there they build their businesses. Some
have gone international by adding in gTLDs to their product mix. One sees
that they are hosting local companies and growing in the industry.

For us as the .NA Register, we provided a platform (CoCCA Tools) that
allows small and large companies to offer rapid DNS implementations. Small
scale, start ups can get on the system and use it after about 30 minutes of
training. They are then able to offer this to their customers. Given that
the software is open source, one wonders why the push is not to get more
African ccTLDs to use CoCCATools or other open source alternatives (such as
FRED). Eventually, if there are nationally based registrars, a few might
want to become ICANN accredited because they see a value in doing so and
will do it themselves.

My concern is the fascination with ICANN accredited registrars. As you
imply, developing the dns related local industry is the important
process. I would not be surprised if we went into any economy around the
world and found that the number of non ICANN accredited registrars
outnumbered the ICANN accredited registrars. So why don't we talk about
developing national DNS industries?

Ben

On Sat, Feb 2, 2013 at 4:15 PM, McTim <dogwallah at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Ben,
>
> I am happy to have the chance to engage constructively in this thread.
>
> On Sat, Feb 2, 2013 at 9:04 AM, Ben Fuller <abutiben at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Can someone explain the need for ICANN approved registrars in Africa?
>

> If there were more registrars on the continent, there would be greater
> technical capability, more DNS clue, greater uptake of local/regional
> TLDs, more business (read profit), which leads to more registrars,
> which leads to more business.  It's "a rising tide lifts all boats"
> kind of virtuous circle.
>

> >What does this do for the continent? With hundreds of private companies
> across the globe that have become ICANN approved registrars, what is
> stopping African companies from doing the same?
>
> Lack of awareness perhaps?  Perhaps it is percieved as too hard to
> become accredited when one can just become a reseller??   I think this
> is one question you could have answered by folk at the event!
>
> There are enough African companies with the capital to do so. What
> will a hand wringing session in Ethiopia do?  Don't tell me you want a
> donor Programme.
>

> I don't think a donor scheme is part of the plan.
>
> I hope there won't be much hand-wringing either.
>

> --
> Cheers,
>
> McTim

Dr. Ben Fuller