[AfrICANN-discuss] Management of African ccTLDs: Panne du .td?

Dr Paulos Nyirenda paulos at sdnp.org.mw
Tue Sep 18 22:15:00 SAST 2012

I also recall that ICANN indicated that there was an emergency service for IANA
functions, may be this is one such situation where this could have kicked in. I also
recall that ICANN did put out an emergency 24x7 telephone number for things like this.

Mike, we carried out a study under AFTLD to assess status of African ccTLDs and you can
see the presentation at:
http://www.aftld.org/SA2008/docs/presentations/Day1/ccTLDs-in-Africa-Dr-P-Nyirenda.mw-ccTLD-pub.pdf.

On slide 19 you will see that there are at least 5 African ccTLDs with only 2
nameservers and at least one of those, .gw, had all nameservers on its own network. I
hope this precarious situation has improved since that study was done in 2008.

Regards,

Paulos
Dr Paulos Nyirenda
Malawi .mw ccTLD