[AfrICANN-discuss] Internet regulation at national level?

Y Mshana2003 ymshana2003 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 22:25:25 SAST 2012

Me too... Count me in:-)
can it be after 1700hrs West African time please?
Cheers
Yassin

From Yassin . Sent from samsung mobile. On O2.

Pierre Lotis NANKEP <lnankep at yahoo.fr> wrote:

Adiel,

Thanks for your input.
Regarding the webinar, I am ready. Count me amongst the participants.

Best Regards.

--
Pierre Lotis NANKEP
IT Engineer / ANTIC
Email (Pro) : pierre.nankep at antic.cm
GSM : +237 77 66 10 07
De : Adiel Akplogan <adiel at afrinic.net>
À : africann at afrinic.net
Envoyé le : Mercredi 31 octobre 2012 9h14
Objet : Re: [AfrICANN-discuss] Internet regulation at national level?

Dear all,

First of all I think the discussion is getting real and start touching
on some fundamental questions that we need to address in our region and
which are the bottom-line for what we all seems to be looking for:
Internet (and maybe more generally ICT) development in Africa for a
sustainable socio-economical impact.

In the mean time I have spot on an important issue raised several time
in recent posts, which I would like us to get specific about and try
to, in one hand understand the issue and in other hand look at way to
address them efficiently. It is about IP address **regulation**.

On 2012-10-31, at 09:48 AM, Pierre Lotis NANKEP <lnankep at yahoo.fr> wrote:

I also heard that we should regulate IP numbers and domain names at
national level. Well and good but how could this be done when IPs are
administered globally(iana/nro) and regionally through afrinic?

>>Please let us organise a Webinar on this topic... So some will
>>have the opportunity to make some présentation in details.

Just before going further on this, AfriNIC has initiated a Government
Working Group open to Government Reps and Regulators with the goal to
proactively create a framework for discussion and dialogue at that level
on IP address and related issues. The working groups also have a mailing
list afgwg-discuss at afrinic.net and several countries have already
appointed liaison to that working group (http://meeting.afrinic.net/afgwg).
You can also use that forum to have this discussion with a wider Africa
regulators/governments audience.

Coming back to the point, Pierre N. and others on the list who have
expressed concern in that area, can you be a bit more specify? Pierre has
mentioned WHOIS services and data accuracy that need to be regulated.
Putting aside the scary word "regulation" here, I will agree that WHOIS
related issues are important to look at in our region. So in order to
move the discussion forward, what are the "regulation" measures that you
think government should take to solve the problem of accuracy? What are
regulators doing right now to encourage Network Operator in their
respective jurisdiction to properly register and update their IP addresses
usage in the public WHOIS database already provided by AFRINIC? Can that
already be a starting point?

In April this year we have received a Policy proposal "AfriNIC Whois
Database Clean-up" AFPUB-2012-GEN-001-DRAFT-01 (still under discussion)
which, if approved by the community, will trigger a process to cleanup
our IP address WHOIS database. That proposal in fact reinforced the fact
that the issue of WHOIS data accuracy is also of concern for operators
as well. How are regulators contributing to the debate and the elaboration
of such a policy? How can this be efficiently translated into the local
framework without creating unnecessary additional layer of bureaucracy
and/or complexity? Simply put, what is your take on the policy proposal?

I would encourage you and anyone interested to contribute to the
discussion that is happening on that specific policy for instance by
joining AFRINC RPD mailing list at rpd at afrinic.net]. More about our
open Policy development Process can be found at:

http://www.afrinic.net/en/community/policy-development

Finally I would like to take on your suggestion to have a webminar session
on the topic. AFRINIC will be happy to provide the logistic for it. But in
order to plan it well, we will need to know how many people are interested
first.

Thank you.

- a.