[AfrICANN-discuss] Let's be proactive - domain names regulator

Dr Paulos Nyirenda paulos at sdnp.org.mw
Tue Oct 30 11:37:55 SAST 2012

On 30 Oct 2012 at 10:49, Vika Mpisane wrote:

> The regulation I sought to focus on is the usage of domain names. As you
> can see from the ECT Act extract, ZADNA regulates 2nd level domain
> registries (e.g. Org.za, co.za) & registrars. However, we don't regulate
> how a domain name holder uses the domain name. Effectively, we regulate
> the ZA domain name registration process that registries & registrars
> should adhere to, but we don't regulate the domain names themselves or how
> they are used.

Very thin line indeed which makes it easy for the authroity to side step, easily. As the
domain name authority, I think ZADNA has a wider mandate on regulating domain names as
directed by the RSA Government or legal framework than you seem to indicate.

For example 65(4): "The (ZADNA) Authority may, and must when so requested by the
Minister, make recommendations to the Minister in relation to policy on any matter
relating to the .za domain name space". Does this exclude "use"?

True that other countries may seek a different model consideration of which may include
whether they have the resources to create a completely new such authority. Further
examples here include the model in Tanzania with tzNic and Egypt both where there is no
new such authority BUT the telecomms regulator plays the more significant role.

There  are a number of countries in Africa in a review process like Malawi ... it will be
interesting to see which way they go in the next year or two. This will make the ISOC /
AFTLD project quite interesting.

Regards,

Paulos
Dr Paulos B Nyirenda