[AfrICANN-discuss] Let's be proactive - domain names regulator

Dr Paulos Nyirenda paulos at sdnp.org.mw
Tue Oct 30 10:32:47 SAST 2012

On 30 Oct 2012 at 9:33, Vika Mpisane wrote:

> +++1 here too.

Mmmm ... not so fast ...

> Regulating domain names & IP addresses is not something I've ever heard of. I've heard
> of domain name dispute regulation, which of course only regulates how disputes over a
> domain name in a particular top level domain (TLD) should be handled & resolved.

Vika, is that not one of the ZADNA duties under the mandates of ZADNA as a government
body, to regulate registries that run domain names?   See section 65 of Chapter X of the
Electronic Communications and Transactions Act of South Africa,
http://www.zadna.org.za/mandate.html,  also partly copied here below.

So, does the RSA government not regulate domains names through ZADNA as its Authority?

Here in Malawi we have a review of the legal framework currently taking place and this is
one of the issues that we have to deal with. For example, the question arises whether to
create a new body like ZADNA or let such regulatory authority be the incumbet telecomms
regulator. What do you think?

Regards,

Paulos
======================
Dr Paulos B Nyirenda
NIC.MW & .mw ccTLD
http://www.registrar.mw

Chapter X of the Electronic Communications and Transactions Act (of RSA) provides for the
establishment of .za DNA. Below are the duties.

"65.(1) The Authority must­ (a) administer and manage the .za domain name space;

(b) comply with international best practice in the administration of the .za domain name
space;

(c) license and regulate registries;

(d) license and REGULATE registrars for the respective registries; and

(e) publish guidelines on­- ... ETC