[AfrICANN-discuss] The world is moving gradually towards cyber war

Douglas Onyango ondouglas at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 22:14:30 SAST 2012

Nii,
On 24 October 2012 14:04, Nii Narku Quaynor <quaynor at ghana.com> wrote:
> Is the SA Electric grid SCADA connected to Internet ?
I am not sure about SA, but I know about Uganda :-) (where I am from).
The SCADA system isn't supposed to be connected to the Internet ---
but you and I know it is idealistic to think this guideline is being
followed.

All to often networks supposed to be offline have been compromised by
poor network configurations that allowed access to supposedly offline
networks segments connected to online segments.

A case in point is Stuxnet in Iran's case. The worm didn't use the
Internet to propagate; instead: ignorance, social engineering and a
host of other techniques were used very successfully to infect
computers and networks that were not supposed to be connected online.

I guess the take away here is that: it take more than just putting a
computer/network offline to secure it from cyber attacks.

Douglas Onyango | +256(0794)981329 | Twitter: @ondouglas
Life is the educator's practical joke in which you spend the first
half learning, and the second half learning that everything you
learned in the first was a joke.