[AfrICANN-discuss] African Governments, Internet and Governance

Nii Narku Quaynor quaynor at ghana.com
Sat Nov 3 00:17:26 SAST 2012

On Nov 2, 2012, at 18:35, SM <sm at resistor.net> wrote:

> There was a comment on this mailing list about the African Union.  A report about the African Union [1] mentioned that:
>
>  "Many sections of the organization's Web site have no content, contain broken links,
>   or direct the user to the wrong page. The Washington office of the AU was unable to
>   provide basic information and referred questions to the AU headquarters. Telephone
>   and e-mail inquiries to the AU headquarters for information and documentation went
>   unanswered."
>
>  "This lack of information, especially on an important issue like the budget, is
>   extremely unusual."

The reference was very good, strong and critical. Perhaps AUC should reach out to the African technical community to assist to resolve at least the information resource problems. I must agree that the other issues would require an institutional commitment and the opening up of AU data for public use. AUC could sign on to OGPL and implement an open data initiative. I noticed in some examples donors are bypassing AUC and funding implementing member states which weakens the institution as result

Informative article