[AfrICANN-discuss] Macra briefs ICT sector on new ITU resolutions

Anne-Rachel Inné annerachel at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 15:22:18 SAST 2012

 Macra briefs ICT sector on new ITU resolutions
<http://www.bnltimes.com/index.php/daily-times/headlines/business/5307-macra-briefs-ict-sector-on-new-itu-resolutions>
 Friday, 23 March 2012 14:11 Henry Mchazime
    0
inShare

http://www.bnltimes.com/index.php/daily-times/headlines/business/5307-macra-briefs-ict-sector-on-new-itu-resolutions
<http://www.bnltimes.com/index.php/daily-times/headlines/business/images/stories/Nsaliwa_copy.jpg>

The Malawi Communications Regulatory Authority (Macra) on Wednesday took
time to brief the local telecommunications and ICT sectors on the new
resolution made at the World Radio Communication conference in Geneva last
month.

Opening the meeting in Blantyre Macra Director General Charles Nsaliwa said
the outcome of the WRC conference would ensure proper utilisation and
management of radio frequencies which is a vital and scarce resource for
the ICT industry.

He said it was impressive that most of the resolutions which were made
locally and at regional level were adopted.

"This year the conference made a number of key decisions with respect to a
number of areas such as identification of the second 'digital dividend'
that will enable the introduction of more high speed broadband wireless
access systems, facilitate harmonisation of frequencies for electronic news
gathering and enhance the coordination of process to ensure long term
spectrum availability," said Nsaliwa.

He added that further studies have been proposed on the harmonisation of
short range devices on a global scale and revise the channelling
arrangements of some bands to facilitate introductions of digital
technologies.

Speaking earlier Macra Deputy Director of Spectrum Management Lloyd Momba
said the resolutions would be implemented in the next two to three years.

"Our focus is to ensure the long term availability of spectrum for all
technologies and we will continue to conduct wide consultations on these
issues as we strive for a common position," Momba said.

The WRC conference is organised by the Radio Communications Section of the
International Telecommunications Union (ITU) every three to four years to
widely discuss and finds solutions to technical issues regarding radio
communications services across the globe.