[AfrICANN-discuss] Launch of The Fund for Internet Research and Education - FIRE Program

Babusha Radhakissoon babusha at afrinic.net
Mon Mar 26 13:13:38 SAST 2012

The African Network Information Centre (AfriNIC) announces today the
Launch of its fund for Research and Education in Africa (FIRE). As per
its mandate to promote Internet development in the African region the
fund will provide support through small grants to regional ICT
development projects. This Fund has been possible with the financial
support of the International Development Research Centre (IDRC) of
Canada.

The FIRE Program will be used to encourage, foster and facilitate ICT
development initiatives within the African region under three main
thematics:

1) *Innovation on Access provision*: fostering ICT growth in Africa by
ensuring that the delivery mechanism is available, reliable and scalable;

2) *E-development*: the development, deployment and enhancement of
content, applications and solutions and:

3) *Freedom of Expression*: initiatives related to freedom of
expression, freedom of association, privacy, security, consumer's
rights, new forms of intellectual property in the digital environment,
and a wider range of issues related to Internet and human rights.

AfriNIC will partner with two other Regional Internet Registries, APNIC
and LACNIC with similar small grants and awards programs under a common
umbrella the "Seed Alliance" to promote innovation and social
developments in the African region, the Asia Pacific Region and the
Latin America & Caribbean Region.

/''The launch of this project sets a new milestone for AfriNIC's support
to ICT development in Africa. Through our small grants we will support
projects intended to promote and develop Internet and its usage in
Africa. We need to better promote and support our community to make
Internet not only a communication tool but a tool for economical and
social development'" /says Adiel Akplogan, the CEO of AfriNIC.//

The FIRE website will be launched on the *30 March 2012*. All
information to apply for a Grant in the African region will be posted on
the website. For more information send us an email on:
fireprogram at afrinic.net <mailto:fireprogram at afrinic.net>

Picture1.jpg

--
Babusha Radhakissoon

AfriNIC | 11th Floor ABC | Raffles Tower | Cybercity | Mauritius
Tel: +230 403 5100 |Fax: +230 466 6758
Join us at AfriNIC-16 Gambia, 12 - 18 May 2012