[AfrICANN-discuss] Re: AfrICANN Digest, Vol 61, Issue 3 Re: Troubling precedents

Nigel Roberts nigel at channelisles.net
Fri Mar 2 12:47:43 SAST 2012

On 03/02/2012 06:41 AM, Titi Akinsanmi wrote:
> Unimaginable scenarios begin to play out and the vulnerability of ICANN
> more so the fragile disconnected 'governance' of the internet more than
> ever before is more widely exposed. eries of questions arise:
> 1. Whats the recourse - truly usable recourse - for those liek bodog.com
> <http://bodog.com> to ensure they are not subjected to laws/regulations
> that don't directly apply to them?

Bodog, if I remember correctly, actively accepted US players, knowing
that that was against US law. If they use a US domain (which ALL gTLDs
are, no matter how much ICANN may seek to pretend otherwise) then they
took a risk (the negative outcomes being entirely foreseeable -- see my
articles at http://nigel.je _passim) and that risk didn't pay off. Tough.

The only answer is to us a ccTLD domain in the country where you operate.