[AfrICANN-discuss] [***SPAM***] Africa and new gTLD?

Vika Mpisane vika at zadna.org.za
Mon Jun 18 14:39:01 SAST 2012

Seun, the debate about the suitability of generic domains like .university
will take a long time to subside. There are credible arguments both for &
against such gTLDs. It's possible that an association of universities may
successfully object to .university as I don't think the .university
application is from such an association/s. Of course, there may be a
challenge against a successful objection seeing the .university application
is not a community application.

In essence, those in favor of new gTLDs based their arguments on choice,
competition & consumer trust. ICANN's own premise is based on these factors.
Yet whether or not .university provides any more choice, competition & trust
to universities is not clear. Only time will tellŠ

Vika