[AfrICANN-discuss] [***SPAM***] Africa and new gTLD?

Vika Mpisane vika at zadna.org.za
Mon Jun 18 12:55:29 SAST 2012

John Levine's analysis is put in a more interesting way, McTim:-)

From:  McTim <dogwallah at gmail.com>
Date:  Monday 18 June 2012 12:24 PM
To:  <africann at afrinic.net>
Subject:  Re: [AfrICANN-discuss] [***SPAM***] Africa and new gTLD?

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 3:16 AM, Vika Mpisane <vika at zadna.org.za> wrote:
> Allow me to take a quick stab at your question, Remmy.
>
> Yes, 17 gTLD applications from Africa is really not good, but is still linked
> to the growth of domain name industry in Africa, which is still substantially
> behind that of other regions. For example, we have 5 or 6 ICANN accredited
> registrars in the region. My limited experience on new gTLDs showed that ICANN
> accredited registrars played an important role in advising corporates to look
> at new gTLD possibilities. So in Africa, having 5 accredited registrars could
> be one of the reason for the existing lack of awareness on gTLDs.
>
> Yet the fact that some of the African applications are from corporates shows
> some of the "registrars" (ICANN accredited or not) did educate some
> corporates. That's nice to see.
>
> I personally think the 17 applications are quite credible & give us a bit of a
> slice of the new gTLD market. What is not nice, though, is the fact that a
> substantial number of these 17 applications have non-African registry
> operators. That's where we're missing out on an opportunity to prove the
> resiliency of the African registry infrastructure & to develop registry
> management skills.

+1

I also like John Levine's reply about this topic on another list:

"A reasonable interpretation of the lack of African applicants is that
people looked at the substantial cost and dubious benefits of a vanity TLD
and everyone who wasn't already drunk on ICANN kool-aid came to a rational
decision that their limited funds would better be spent elsewhere. "

--
Cheers,

McTim