[AfrICANN-discuss] Re: [Skunkworks] [EANOG] The East Africa Internet Exchange Point-- Where are we?

Brian Munyao Longwe blongwe at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 12:39:08 SAST 2012

Actually before EACO changed it's name from EARPTO - there was a proof of
concept for EAIXP initiated by AfrISPA (when it was under my watch). Links
between KIXP, TIXP and UIXP were established and despite low participation
from individual ISPs at each - there was huge traffic passing - especially
between Kenya and Tanzania. SimbaNet in TZ are the company that set up the
links... that was a few years back - don't know where this went since as
I've not been involved with AfrISPA since my I stepped down in 2010.

On a related note, a proposal that I initiated while at AfrISPA, was
adopted by the African Union after about  5 years of work. This was for a
project called AFIX - African Internet Exchange System. The goal here was
to build African inter-IXP connections via "regional carriers". The project
has been funded and (I believe) is about to commence implementation, which
consists of both technical and policy, regulatory and commercial
interventions.

Let's keep our dream for a connected Africa alive!

Best regards,

Brian

  [image: logo]
*Brian Munyao Longwe*