[AfrICANN-discuss] Help with .africa history

Pierre Lotis NANKEP lnankep at yahoo.fr
Fri Jul 20 12:55:00 SAST 2012

Dear Community,

I think it's time for people around the world to mobilize to reorient the new gTLD initiative of ICANN.

First, the expression "newgTLD" chosen by ICANN is not adequate. It is confusing.

It would have been desirable, in the concern to respect the national sovereignty (.cameroon, .lagos, .douala, etc.), in the concern to respect the regional sovereignty (.africa, .afrique, .europe, etc.) and in the concerns to respect the cultural identities (.biafra, .muslim, .bamileke, etc.), to talk about newTLD (removing the "g"), instead of new gTLD.

The international community understands the economic issues that have motivated the choice of ICANN, and the desire for open Internet for all and without control! We appreciate it!

Second, For me, dotAfrica or dotAfrique belongs to the category newregionalTLDs and not to the category newgTLDs.

From this perspective, the open conflict between DCA and UniForum will not exist. In this sense, ICANN can then negotiate only with the African Union.

ICANN must implement a systematic policy to protect newnationalTLDs and newregionalTLDs. Only the newgTLDs ("g" as generic and not "g" as geaographic) will be object of open competition.

Best regards.

--
Pierre Lotis NANKEP
IT Engineer / ANTIC