[AfrICANN-discuss] Help with .africa history

Dr Yassin Mshana ymshana2003 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 10:15:45 SAST 2012

I remember the battles during ICANN Cape Town then in Mar de Plata! which
is still going on..  It was the decolonization process within the PDP.
Africans were very vocal and things went on well - Guidelines and Policies
are in place. No natonal or regional political interference. Remember what
was going on with some countries which affected the management of some
ccTLDs? Now every country has its TLD and a stable Management - bravo!
Africans did not fight over their TLDs or did they?

The question now is, why are is there a fight over .africa? It is a gTLD
matter and members of African ccTLDs know where they stand.

Now turning to personal attacks over .africa makes the scene unpleasant and
that is where the unprofessional-ism comes in. It is good ideas were shared
- that is very good and encouraging!

Supporting good causes is what one should do - not to frustrate efforts
being made by various actors. Ability to run a gTLD is mainly from the
investments made and capabilities to run a successful gTLD. That means
risking a lot of money!!

I wish we stopped playing games - this is a serious matter. Africa may miss
the boat again?!?

Kind regards

Yassin

On 3 July 2012 08:32, SM <sm at resistor.net> wrote:

> Hi Calvin,
>
> At 23:25 02-07-2012, Calvin Browne wrote:
>
>> Agreed - which is why I'm providing references (which took some time to
>> dig up).
>>

> Thanks for providing the references.
>

>  As I mainly hung out in the cc group, it was the logical place for me to
>> get some opposition to what was, in my eyes, a recolonisation attempt.
>>

> There may still be recolonisation attempts.
>
> Regards,
> -sm

*Independent Consultant*
c/o DFID-Sierra Leone
5 Off Spur Road, Wilberforce
Freetown,SIERRA LEONE
Skype: yassinmshana1, Mobile:+23276926697, Fax: (+232) 22235769
*Do You really NEED TO PRINT THIS?*
 * "The illiterates of the 21st century are not those who cannot read or*
* write** but those who cannot learn, relearn and unlearn" Alvin Toffler*