[AfrICANN-discuss] Internet Access Is Not a Human Right

Ntege Badru badru.ntege at nftconsult.com
Thu Jan 5 15:02:52 SAST 2012

Nigel

In a  way you have a point but are we not in a chicken or egg situation.

 Access to government services was a pre-existing right.  However the
decision to remove the traditional delivery channel of these services and
force everyone to get them from the internet, I would argue was the first
infringement of those rights.

If we take an African situation today where services are still delivered
through the traditional channel.  Imagine a decision being made that all
users of these services would need to get access to the services without
regard.  And that those without access would have to go without.   Looks
like an argument of content and the pipe and where the separating line is.

If we think of Human rights from a global and not regional perspective, then
you cannot think of internet Access as a Human right.    It is definitely a
necessity but cannot be compared to water (not that you did).

So I would say it could be a human right in societies where the initial
right of access to critical services was infringed in favour of technology,
but cannot be a Global human right from the UN perspective.

Regards

Badru

Kofi