[AfrICANN-discuss] Internet Access Is Not a Human Right

Vika Mpisane vika at zadna.org.za
Thu Jan 5 13:29:48 SAST 2012

Thanks, AR! This is quite a persuasive argument by Vint Cerf, and I'm
convinced he's right. He should consider becoming a human rights lawyer as
well...it's never too late.

I particularly like the distinction between a human right and a civil right.

Regards,

Vika Mpisane
ZADNA
+27 11 314 0077

PLEASE NOTE: From 1 December 2011, ZADNA relocated its business premises,
and changed its contact details, to:

Tel: +27 11 314 0077 | Fax: +27 11 314 0088 | E-fax: 086 688 7109 (South
Africa only) - unchanged
Physical: COZA House, Gazelle Close, Corporate Park South, Old Pretoria
Road, Midrand, Gauteng, South Africa | Postal: P O Box 4620, Halfway House,
1685, South Africa

On
> [...]
> Published: January 4, 2012
>
> FROM the streets of Tunis to Tahrir Square and beyond, protests around the
> world last year were built on the Internet and the many devices that
interact
> with it. Though the demonstrations thrived because thousands of people
turned
> out to participate, they could never have happened as they did without the
> ability that the Internet offers to communicate, organize and publicize
> everywhere, instantaneously.
>
> It is no surprise, then, that the protests have raised questions about
> whether Internet access is or should be a civil or human right. The issue
is
> particularly acute in countries whose governments clamped down on Internet
> access in an attempt to quell the protesters. In June, citing the
uprisings
> in the Middle East and North Africa, a report by the United Nations’
special
> rapporteur went so far as to declare that the Internet had “become an
> indispensable tool for realizing a range of human rights.” Over the past
few
> years, courts and parliaments in countries like France and Estonia have
> pronounced Internet access a human right.
>
> But that argument, however well meaning, misses a larger point:
> technology is an enabler of rights, not a right itself. There is a high
bar
> for something to be considered a human right. Loosely put, it must be
among
> the things we as humans need in order to lead healthy, meaningful lives,
like
> freedom from torture or freedom of conscience.
> It is a mistake to place any particular technology in this exalted
category,
> since over time we will end up valuing the wrong things. For example, at
one
> time if you didn’t have a horse it was hard to make a living. But the
> important right in that case was the right to make a living, not the right
> a horse. Today, if I were granted a right to have a horse, I’m not sure
where
> I would put it.
>
> The best way to characterize human rights is to identify the outcomes that
we
> are trying to ensure. These include critical freedoms like freedom of
speech
> and freedom of access to information — and those are not necessarily bound
> any particular technology at any particular time. Indeed, even the United
> Nations report, which was widely hailed as declaring Internet access a
human
> right, acknowledged that the Internet was valuable as a means to an end,
not
> as an end in itself.
>
> What about the claim that Internet access is or should be a civil right?
The