[AfrICANN-discuss] Tr : ITWebAfrica Story - Ali Baba and the 40 Thieves.Africa

Alioune Traore alioune_b_traore at yahoo.fr
Mon Aug 27 13:45:54 SAST 2012

Thanks Neil for clarifications

Dr Alioune Badara TRAORE
+223 6678 58 31

De : Neil Dundas <neild at dundas.co.za>
À : africann at afrinic.net
Envoyé le : Dimanche 26 août 2012 19h33
Objet : Re: [AfrICANN-discuss] Tr : ITWebAfrica Story - Ali Baba and the 40 Thieves.Africa

Hi All,

Please see comments and responses below. I trust this provides some clarity on the matter.

On 26 Aug 2012, at 9:41 AM, Kivuva <Kivuva at transworldafrica.com> wrote:

Can someone give us clarifications on the following:

>1. Is .africa and .dotafrica in competition? Are DCA and
>AfricaInOneSpace competing to manage the same resource?

AfricaInOneSpace (UniForum SA) has applied for the .africa gTLD. DotConnectAfrica (DCA) wanted to apply for the .africa gTLD but they made error on their application and instead applied for .dotafrica. This fact can be verified on the ICANN site by following these links:
.africa : http://gtldresult.icann.org/application-result/applicationstatus/applicationdetails/1184
.dotafrica : http://gtldresult.icann.org/application-result/applicationstatus/applicationdetails/1276

2. Is there a difference between a geoTLD and a communityTLD? Where do
>.africa and .dotafrica fall?

Yes there is a difference, especially in terms of how they have been regulated in the Applicant's Guidebook. In a nutshell, you CANNOT get away from the fact that .Africa is a geographic TLD.

A more detailed analysis:

Paragraph 2.2.1.4.2 (section 2-16) of the Applicants’ Guidebook prescribes that certain applied-for-strings may qualify as “Geographic Names” and must therefore be accompanied by documentation of support or non-objection from the relevant governments or public authorities. In particular, the guidebook requires at least 60% of the relevant national governments in a region to provide documentation in support of new applications for geographic strings and there must be no more than one written statement of objection.

Africa is a clearly designated geographic region as defined in the UNESCO “Composition of macro geographical (continental) regions, geographical sub-regions, and selected economic and other groupings” list. In this regard the designation of the official AUC endorsed dotAfrica (.Africa) TLD string application, submitted by UniForum SA, as a geographic name is therefore technically and procedurally correct. UniForum SA is confident that the "geographic evaluation process" that its application is subject to provides sufficient checks and balances for the protection of interests and rights of African governments and the pan-African community.

The issue as to whether DCA’s application for the .dotAfrica string (1-1165-42560) will constitute a geographic name as outlined in the Applicant’s Guidebook is uncertain, notwithstanding the fact that DCA itself has designated the application as a “geographic name”. According the Applicant’s Guidebook (section 2-17) “Strings that include but do not match a Geographic Name will not be considered geographic names as defined in section 2.2.1.4.2 and therefore will not require documentation of government support in the evaluation process.”

UniForum contends that DCA’s .dotAfrica string application, although not a direct match to the AFRICA geographic name, is so confusingly similar that it must be regarded as a geographic name for purposes of evaluation. It must consequently be subjected to the criteria and rules applicable to the evaluation of geographic names, including government support.  In particular we contend that the addition of the “dot” in DCA’s .dotAfrica application does not sufficiently differentiate it from UniForum SA’s dotAfrica (.Africa) geographic string application and will therefore confuse the public.

[BTW: The above has been posted as a public comment against the DCA application]

3. Must AfricaInOneSpace be a registered organisation? Are there any
>consequences if it is not registered?

UniForum SA (AfricaInOneSpace) is a non-profit organization incorporated in South Africa since 1988. It has been administering the CO.ZA domain name space since 1995. It has a long and well established track record as a technical registry provider.

4. Should the AU endorse one side between .africa and .dotafrica? And
>if it has endorsed one party, what are the grounds for it to recant
>that endorsement?

.Africa is a geographic name and therefore requires government support in terms of the Guidebook. African Heads of State have mandated the AUC to setup the structures and modalities to facilitate the application and administration of the .Africa gTLD, which the AUC has done through and open and transparent Expression of Interest (EOI) process and which has resulted in the endorsement of UniForum SA. Refer top the following links for further details:
- Clarification by AUC on .Africa gTLD: http://www.au.int/en/content/africa-union-commission-clarification-dot-africa
- Endorsement of UniForum SA: http://africainonespace.org/downloads/AUC_ZACRLetterofAppointment.pdf