[AfrICANN-discuss] ITU to control Internet?

Adamou Nacer adamou.nacer at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 10:24:34 SAST 2012

Hi Noah,
Le 09/08/2012 20:32, Maina Noah a écrit :

> On 9 August 2012 11:49, Adamou Nacer <adamou.nacer at gmail.com
> <mailto:adamou.nacer at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     I don't agree with these new proposals. But Internet is US-centric
>     and I feel this is an issue of the same nature to what is propoed.
>     So I asked two questions:
>     - is there an African common position on this discussion?
>
> None that i am certain off.
>
>     - Is this US-centric model not a concern for Africa?
>
> The INTERNET shall remain more US-Centric is we don't as stakeholder
> don't grow our own Internet. Which is why the promotion of IXP's is
> significant across the continent.
>
> The Chinese in the past couple of years started growing their own
> Internet and stats indicate that even on the social network seen, they
> don't care about facebook and Google has struggled to set a foot-print
> in china-mainland with only the exception of the obvious HoghKong.
>
> I say stop worrying about the US and its politics and lets work on
> building our own INTERNET in Africa and each sovereign country and
> even if tomorrow Google closes shop, you can still continue with
> business locally.
>
> Promote IXP's build the local and African INTERNET but do business the
> rest of the world where need be.
>
> ./noah
I think you are right till a point: we cannot only concentrate on our
own development without trying to make sur our views are taken into
account when deciding at the highest level of gouvernance. Yes you are
right, we must concentrate on developping IXPs, and Internet
infrastructure, building data center in Africa, creating african content
and so on, but also we need to defend our rights, views and liberty in
the global ecosystem.