[AfrICANN-discuss] ITU to control Internet?

Adamou Nacer adamou.nacer at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 10:49:38 SAST 2012

Le 08/08/2012 19:02, SM a écrit :
> Hi Adamou,
> At 01:59 08-08-2012, Adamou Nacer wrote:
>> - I have even read an article a few days ago (than to our fellow
>> Mamadou Lo) on the fact that US government can take control of
>> Internet in case of emergency, as if Internet was like the US
>> telephone system.
>
> What is the meaning of "take control of Internet in case of emergency"?
The US president signed an executive order on July 6 that autorizes him
to take control off all national medias, including Internet. I didn't
read the executive order myself, but my source (see [2] in french) give
some ideas on what can be operationnally an "Internet control":
- control of ISP and content providers like google or facebook to name a
few,
- control of root servers (as far as I know, 3/4 of root servers are
hosted in US) and the master root server.

>> So now I am asking, how can we reject to China/Russia proposal of
>> putting Internet under the UN's ITU management and break its present
>> governance model while we are not
>
> What is the meaning of "putting Internet under the UN's ITU management"?
It means to push for "ITU to take Internet governance away from the
Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) and other
organizations" and to change "International Telecommunication
Regulations" to regulate Internet instead of its "open, consensus-based,
multistakeholder model for standards setting and Internet policy
development" [3].

Victor,
I don't agree with these new proposals. But Internet is US-centric and I
feel this is an issue of the same nature to what is propoed. So I asked
two questions:
- is there an African common position on this discussion?
- Is this US-centric model not a concern for Africa?
I am sorry, I am not really fluent in english, so maybe I sometimes miss
the point.
Regards