[AfrICANN-discuss] New Zealand gets its first ICANN accredited domain registrar

Mamadou LO alfamamadou at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 31 18:42:24 SAST 2011

Source : http://reseller.co.nz/reseller.nsf/news/new-zealand-gets-its-first-icann-accredited-domain-registrar
New Zealand gets its first ICANN accredited domain registrar
Company says accreditation will result in better deals for New Zealand domain resellers

Web Drive has announced that it has become the first New Zealand-based company to receive ICANN accreditation.

Web Drive provides wholesale domain name registration services to New Zealand-based domain name resellers and retail services to its end-user customers in the ANZ through its Domains4Less brand. The company says this accreditation puts it on the same level as international domain registrars such as GoDaddy and NetworkSolutions.

The ICANN (Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers) is a non-profit corporation with the global responsibility of managing IP address space allocation and domain name system management.

According to the company, over 80,000 domains have been registered through Wed Drive to data, on behalf of over 20,000 global customers.

“Currently if New Zealand domain name registrars are not using Web Drive already to provide their registration, they’re either using international providers or they’re reselling domain name services from another upstream reseller which is itself purchasing services from overseas ICANN accredited registrars,” says Robin Dickie, Web Drive’s operations manager, who explains that getting ICANN accreditation was a lengthy and expensive process which will allow the company to bring a new level of pricing and service to New Zealand domain resellers.

“That’s a lot of links in the chain,” says Dickie, “which means added cost for resellers, and a greater risk that things can go wrong with a upstream provider: leaving domain holders high-and-dry when they weren’t even aware there was a upstream provider in the mix.“

“Many of our wholesale customers stand to save literally thousands of dollars a year in domain registration charges. Because we’re now able to get better pricing ourselves we’re able to pass this on to our wholesale customers. They can choose to pass the savings on to their customers or keep the extra margin. Either way, it’s a considerable windfall for them,” adds Dickie.