[AfrICANN-discuss] DCA expresses commitment to work with African ccTLDs

Nigel Roberts nigel at channelisles.net
Tue Nov 22 10:08:07 SAST 2011

>> First, we think the innuendo to “beauty contest” is a very sexist
>> remark which was meant to show disrespect to the person of the
>> spearhead of the Yes2dotAfrica campaign.  It is very disturbing that
>> even the slightest discussion about DCA and DotAfrica can no longer be
>> conducted in a civilized way, without it becoming personal.
>>   Therefore, for this very unnecessary allusion to ‘beauty contest’
>> that was done in bad taste to reflect the gender of the DCA Executive
>> Director, we demand an immediate and unreserved apology, and a
>> retraction of the offensive sexist statement.

The 'beauty contest' metaphor has been entirely self-attached by DCA and
you cannot now deny this. This is clearly demonstrated by Mr Brown's
elegant photo that he posted at http://ta.gg/5k8, and as I have
personally observed both in Singapore and at Dakar.

On a more serious note, the expression 'beauty contest' is often used in
Britain, and very likely elsewhere in the English speaking world for
exactly the situation with the bidders for .AFRICA and the AU -- that is
where a two or more commercial companies demonstrate their abilities and
resources to a responsible contracting Authority, which then selects the
one best suited to do the job.

That use of the expression can never be sexist becuase natural persons
are not involved - the 'beauty contest' is between corporations and
their suitability for the task.

Nigel Roberts, Manager
TLD Registry Solutions LLC