[AfrICANN-discuss] DCA expresses commitment to work with African ccTLDs

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 15:24:22 SAST 2011

Hi Lerato,

On 11/19/11, Lerato Mamboleo <lerato.ma at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Dear McTim & Mark Elkins,
>
> It is clear that these negative comments
> are an 'over-reaction' to the plain fact that DCA got a very positive press
> coverage regarding its good intentions for the African ccTLDs and the
> independent media assessment of the Post-Dakar meeting outcomes.

DCA always get good press, it's just that most of it is factually
incorrect, or at least most of the DCA press campaigns are.  A point
that Mark made indicates this.  DCA has complained in the past that it
has been excluded from this list.  This is factually incorrect.  The
list is not moderated at all, it's an open list, so the fact that you
are posting shows that DCA folk are not excluded.

> First, we can tell you straightaway that
> there is no strategy to split the ccTLDs from AfTLD. It has always been an
> aspect of DCA's outreach strategy to reassure this important segment of
> their
> inclusive and participatory stake in DotAfrica, and to present
> cross-marketing
> possibilities and capacity building opportunities to the African ccTLDs who
> fear that DotAfrica might further erode their base to attract users and
> registrants. So far, apart from DCA, no other prospective applicant has
> proposed this to the ccTLDs.

I find it absurd that one could assert that the Association for
African ccTLDs has not already pitched this to their members, so I
googled it, and found:

http://www.aftld.org/gh2011/docs/AfTLD_SP_ACC2011.pdf

and http://www.aftld.org/gh2011/docs/AfTLD_dot_Africa_Update-April2011-Accra.pdf

Where this is talked about extensively.  In other words, you are incorrect.

> However, having made this essential
> clarification,

which is incorrect

 it is important to stress at this juncture that the presumed
> relationship between the AfTLD and the African ccTLD is not really as strong
> as
> it has been made out to be. We have already highlighted the fact that the
> African ccTLDs are actually not the owners of the AfTLD (as a registered
> legal
> entity), which to all practical intents and purposes remains separate from,
> and
> does not truly represent, the African ccTLDs. Even so, AfTLD has probably
> only
> 1 or 2 ccTLDs in its membership list,

or 24 as seen on http://www.aftld.org/html/english/AFTLD_members.html

You could at least do the bare minimum of fact-checking before you
make such incorrect assertions.

 so DCA is not doing anything to split
> ccTLDs from AfTLD because these ccTLDs are not part of AfTLD in the first
> place. Regarding your 'understanding' that AfTLD will be applying for
> DotAfrica,
> perhaps you should undertake further detailed reading of the AU RFP for the
> Operation of DotAfrica which insists that Consortia should be formed to
> include
> African ccTLDs. The RFP does not in any way refer to AfTLD.

Wait, I thought you opposed the AU RFP?

 In DCA's
> estimation, there seems to be a deliberate plan to exclude AfTLD from these
> matters, and the finger should be pointed more accurately at those who are
> sidelining and undermining the AfTLD,

So now you are defending AfTLD?

Just a few weeks ago, DCA was attacking them?

http://www.dotconnectafrica.org/2011/03/exclusive-commentary-dca-aftld-seeks-mandate-manage-africa/

http://www.domainnews.com/en/three-companies-try-to-undermine-dcas-yes-to-dotafrica-campaign.html

http://www.domainsafrica.com/2011/09/whither-dotafrica-amidst-confusion.html

and most disturbingly:

http://ih.constantcontact.com/fs053/1102516344150/img/149.jpg

there are many other links that one can easily find, all equally full
of untruths and distortions.

As I told your colleague last week on circleid, you can catch more
flies with honey than with vinegar.

For the record, I have no financial or other interest in ARC, AfTLD,
dotafrica.org or any other group vying for .africa.

--
Cheers,

McTim