[AfrICANN-discuss] ICANN Picks Senegal for October Meeting

Mamadou LO alfamamadou at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 29 16:43:33 SAST 2011

ICANN Picks Senegal for October Meeting / domainnamewire.com

http://domainnamewire.com/2011/03/24/icann-picks-senegal-for-october-meeting/

ICANN heads to western Africa this fall.
ICANN’s October 2011 meeting will be held in Dakar, Senegal, the non-profit announced today. Dakar is Senegal’s capital and is home to two million people.
The last meeting ICANN held in Africa was poorly attended due to security concerns. However, last year’s Nairobi, Kenya meeting concluded without any public incidents.
ICANN has already moved one meeting location this year, moving a planned June meeting in Jordan to Singapore due to general unrest in the Middle East.
ICANN is monitoring the situation in Senegal for any potential problems. In its blog post the group wrote:

We are aware of concerns within the community regarding the recent demonstration that took place in Senegal. In keeping with our normal procedures and our obligation to provide a safe and secure environment for ICANN meetings, we will continue to closely monitor the situation as we prepare for the meeting.
The U.S. State Department web site notes:

Public demonstrations, political gatherings, and student protests are relatively common in Senegal, both in Dakar and in outlying regions, particularly on Friday afternoons. In the past, these events have sometimes turned violent. Due to the potential for violence, U.S. citizens should avoid political gatherings and street demonstrations, and maintain security awareness at all times.