[AfrICANN-discuss] Last 5 /8 distributes

Ben Akoh me at benakoh.com
Fri Feb 4 21:37:33 SAST 2011

Hi,

I wonder though, if our looking at cost purely from the technical
perspective does not harm our migratory intentions. CPE's and ISP
equipment are just but a small part of the expense chain, if we were to
consider just the technical aspect alone, and that, as it relates to
just hardware.

Could cost perchance be associated with human resource requirements,
such as technical capacity, cutting across a whole range of levels -
from the techies that are responsible for allocating blocks of v6
addresses at the RIR levels through to those at the ISP, and further
down to those who install CPEs. AfNOG and Afrinic have done exciting
work in this area by building technical capacity but clearly capacity is
still lacking and other stakeholder inputs are required. The numbers of
trained vis-a-vis those yet untrained would present some interesting
information.

The economic costs of having the majority of African businesses who are
mostly SMEs transition is perhaps where the bulk of these v6 allocations
should eventually end up. You would agree with me, however, that
technology spend is done mostly by large corporations and less on SMEs
which consist of the bulk of the market and where most African economies
are buoyed. If this is the case, then the economic incentive for
migrating to v6 should target them and less towards the large
corporations who may have already migrated or invested in newer
equipment. SMEs need an economic incentive to do so. Even then business
incentives are a section of the economics that surround this transition.
Other social aspects such as the amount of obsolete, non-compliant
devices, and those less skilled to tunnel through existing protocols
further complicate the matter.

Eventually the success of Africa's transition would largely depend on
how we holistically deal with this economics. A simple analogy I could
use is the transition from analogue to digital broadcast that countries
in Europe and North America have completed. The economics of such
transition was holistic and took into consideration everything down to
the CPEs, in this case set-top-boxes which were eventually subsidized by
their governments. But this did not come without a comprehension of the
scale of spend to the individual nation state.

I wonder though, if the last /8 block allocated to Afrinic for Africa
will also not eventually retard the transition to v6 given its
unallocated v6 blocks that it speculatively still has (speculation,
because I have not verified its current stockpile).

I guess my dilemma is that the economic incentive for migration is not
clear to the all, SME's, consumers, ISPs, etc., and not just to large
corporations who may have transitioned so they can position themselves
to play in the international market. But more importantly to SME's and
individuals, at all levels; social and economic, who need to be
considered in the equation for transition.

The allocation leaves me with more questions than answers.

Best,
Ben