[AfrICANN-discuss] AfriNIC signs a MoU with the CTO

Babusha Radhakissoon babusha at afrinic.net
Mon Aug 29 10:34:30 SAST 2011

*AfriNIC signs a Memorandum of Understanding with the Commonwealth
Telecommunications Organisation*

The African Network Information Centre (AfriNIC) and the Commonwealth
Telecommunications Organisation (CTO) have signed a memorandum of
understanding on the 24^th August 2011, at the *Hyatt Regency
***Kilimanjaro Hotel* *in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, during the 6^th
Connecting Rural Africa Forum. The MoU has been signed by Mr. Adiel
Akplogan, CEO of AfriNIC and Dr. Ekwow Spio-Garbrah, CEO of the CTO.
The MoU establishes a general framework for bilateral cooperation
between AfriNIC and the CTO with the aim of improving collaboration on
various actions towards promoting ICTs and its role in development
through joint research, training and capacity building on matters of
high importance, such as IPv6.

This initiative has been concretized in line with the common aims and
goals of AfriNIC and the CTO considering the benefits that may accrue to
their stakeholders as a result of the synergies realized through this
collaboration/. "I believe this to be a watershed moment when two
entities, both engaged in the promotion of ICTs for broader development,
come together to cement an alliance with the aim of delivering greater
value to their common stakeholders. The CTO very much looks forward to
working with AfriNIC to build the capacity to leverage the innovations
in the internet by a range of stakeholders"/, said Mr. Bashir Patel,
Chief Operating Officer at the CTO.

Through this MoU AfriNIC and the CTO will collaborate on events and
conferences to enhance the dissemination of important messages. It will
also create a platform to share knowledge and develop further
partnerships. For AfriNIC's CEO, Adiel Akplogan: /"This is a very
important milestone in our mission at AfriNIC to actively contribute
into Individual and Institutional capacity building on Internet Business
in our service region. Internet is not just a communication tool anymore
it is an economical tool that has its own practices and rules. In Africa
we have no choice but to adapt our environment to it. Building a
sustainable synergy among players and stakeholders is the only way we
can successfully drive the change for a brighter socio-economical
future. I'm sure that engaging AfriNIC and the CTO on this shared
mission will make a difference"./
The Commonwealth Telecommunications Organisation is an international
organisation in which Commonwealth and non-­Commonwealth governments,
business organisations and civil society organisations are and can
become members, which among other things provides assistance to members
in enabling information and communication technologies (ICT) for
development in order to achieve social and economic development by
bridging the digital divide and by delivering to developing countries
unique knowledge-­sharing programmes in the areas of telecommunications,
IT, broadcasting and the Internet.

Regards,

The AfriNIC Communications Dept.

--
Babusha Radhakissoon

AfriNIC | 11th Floor ABC | Raffles Tower | Cybercity | Mauritius
Tel: +230 403 5100 |Fax: +230 466 6758
Join us at AfriNIC-15 Cameroon, 19-25 November 2011