[AfrICANN-discuss] FW: [AfriNIC-announce] FINAL Call for Participation -- ICANN DNSSEC Workshop 26 October 2011

Anne-Rachel Inne anne-rachel.inne at icann.org
Sat Aug 6 11:37:16 SAST 2011

From: announce-bounces at afrinic.net [mailto:announce-bounces at afrinic.net] On Behalf Of ALAIN AINA
Sent: Friday, August 05, 2011 8:59 PM
To: announce at afrinic.net
Cc: dnssec-icann-workshops at shinkuro.com
Subject: [AfriNIC-announce] FINAL Call for Participation -- ICANN DNSSEC Workshop 26 October 2011

Call for Participation -- ICANN DNSSEC Workshop 26 October 2011

The DNSSEC Deployment Initiative, in cooperation with the ICANN Security and Stability Advisory Committee (SSAC), is planning a DNSSEC Workshop at the ICANN meeting in Dakar, Senegal on 26 October 2011.  The DNSSEC Workshop has been a part of ICANN meetings for several years and has provided a forum for both experienced and new people to meet, present and discuss current and future DNSSEC deployments.  For reference, the most recent session was held at the ICANN Singapore meeting on 22 June 2011. The presentations and transcripts of the presentations are available at http://singapore41.icann.org/node/24553.

We are seeking presentations on the following topics:

1.  DNSSEC activities in Africa
This is a key panel and we are seeking participation from those who have been involved in DNSSEC deployment in Africa as well as those who have a keen interest in the challenges and benefits of deployment.  Key questions are to consider include: what would help to promote DNSSEC deployment?  What are the challenges you have faced when you deployed DNSSEC?  Can DNSSEC make the information users receive more reliable?

2. The realities of running DNSSEC
Now that DNSSEC has become an operational norm for many registries and registrars, what have we learned about how we manage DNSSEC? What's best practice around key rollovers? How often do you review your disaster recovery procedures? Is there operational familiarity within your customer support teams? Has DNSSEC made DNS more 'brittle' or is it just a run-of-the-mill operational practice?

3. When unexpected DNSSEC events occur
What have we learned from some of the operational outages that we have seen over the past 18 months? Are there lessons that we can pass on to those just about to implement DNSSEC? How do you manage dissemination of information about the outage? What have you learned about communications planning? Do you have a route to ISPs and registrars? How do you liaise with your CERT community?

4. DNSSEC in the wild
What operational statistics have we gathered about DNSSEC? Is it changing DNS patterns? How are our nameservers handling DNSSEC traffic? Is the volume as expected? Have we seen anything unusual?  Are there experiences being documented in the form of best practices, or something similar, for transfer of signed zones?

5. DANE and other DNSSEC applications
Using DNSSEC as a means of authentication for http transactions is an exciting development of DNSSEC. What is the progress of the DNS-Based Authentication of Named Entities (DANE) initiative? (See http://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/dane/.<http://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/dane/>) How soon could DANE become a deployable reality and what will be the impact of such a deployment, e.g. impact on traditional certification authorities (CAs)?

In addition, we welcome suggestions for additional topics.  If you are interested in participating, please send a brief (1-2 sentence) description of your proposed presentation.  Here are the relevant deadlines:

30 August - Deadline to submit brief description of presentation from interested participants
30 September - Deadline to submit presentation slides
15 October - Program posted on ICANN meeting website

Please respond to dnssec-dakar at shinkuro.com no later than 30 August as indicated above.   We hope that you can join us.

Thank you,

Julie Hedlund

On behalf of the DNSSEC Workshop Program Committee:
Alain Aina, TRSTECH
Steve Crocker, Shinkuro
Simon McCalla, Director of IT, Nominet UK
Russ Mundy, Cobham
Lance Wolak, Vice President, Marketing & Sales, .ORG, The Public Interest Registry