[AfrICANN-discuss] U.S. Government Seizes BitTorrent Search Engine Domain and More

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Sat Nov 27 08:02:39 SAST 2010

Hi again,

On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 7:52 AM, Alex Gakuru <gakuru at gmail.com> wrote:
> Don't if you're still on NCUC list? anyway here goes...

I am subscribed by a different email address, one that I don't read anymore. ;-)

> On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 7:34 AM, Robin Gross <robin at ipjustice.org> wrote:
>>
>> The latest info that I've seen is that Verisign assigned new DNS

Yes, if it wasn't GoDaddy, then it must have been VeriSign, as ICANN
doesn't have write access to that zone file.

servers
>> at the Registry level, and then locked the domain so that even the Registrar
>> can't update it.  So now it looks like it may have been VeriSign who
>> "seized" them.  No word on ICANN's role in this situation, if any.

I would suspect none.

This would have happened if ICANN was headquartered in Antarctica,
Switzerland or wherever.  As long as VeriSign is a US company, then
they are subject to US Court orders.

--
Cheers,

McTim