[AfrICANN-discuss] .Africa project communique (Task force)

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Sun Nov 14 14:16:03 SAST 2010

Hi Badru,

On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 2:01 AM, Badru Ntege (NFT)
<badru.ntege at nftconsult.com> wrote:
> Nebiyu and All
>
>  >
>

> As a continent time has run out and we now need to put our differences aside
> and look to what we believe is good for Africa.  As longer as we proface to
> do it for the continent lets sit on the same table.  Since this committee
> has been set up I would suggest that all different parties should come to
> the foe and allow us to create something for the continent which has no
> personal or individual agenda’s.

+1

> My suggestion is DCA should find a way of joining this committee so we have
> one initiative from Africa to be presented to the general community.  If I’m
> not mistaken the ICANN rules expect an initiative to have full support from
> the community.    We all at one time or another will initiate a process that
> at one time or another we find prudent to share with a wider community for
> the good of the common good.  It might be fact that DCA was the first to
> present a proposal for .Africa and if so the community will and should
> appreciate their insight.   However the time has come for us to back an
> initiative from the AU since as a continent we gave that body some level of
> mandate to look into and foster cross border initiatives for the African
> continent.

Agreed.

I gave a presentation on this at the last AITEC in Nairobi.  I have
looked into the ICANN
Guidebook on new gTLDs, and the bottom line is that with competing
proposals, the
ICANN Board may well just decide NOT to accept any .africa proposal at
this time.

As always, I am happy to volunteer my ICANN expertise to the TF to
help put together a unified
.africa proposal.

--
Cheers,