[AfrICANN-discuss] Your Input Requested on Post-Expiration Domain
Name Recovery Initial Report
Glen de Saint Géry
Glen at icann.org
Mon Jul 12 23:58:22 SAST 2010
Your Input Requested on Post-Expiration Domain Name Recovery Initial Report
Public comment period open until 1 August 2010
12 July 2010
The GNSO Post-Expiration Domain Name Recovery (PEDNR) Policy Development Process (PDP) Working Group published its Initial Report [PDF, 1.02 MB] on 31 May. The PEDNR WG was tasked to address questions in relation to what extent registrants should be able to renew their domain names after they expire. At issue is whether the current policies of registrars on the renewal, transfer and deletion of expired domain names are adequate.
In the Initial Report, the WG has reviewed current registrar and ICANN practices regarding domain name expiration, renewal, and post-expiration recovery. Furthermore, in order to assess the views of the WG members and determine where there might be agreement or consensus on a possible approach forward, a survey was conducted amongst the WG membership, details of which are also included in the Initial Report. The WG is now looking for your input on the Initial Report to help inform its deliberations going forward. Comments can be submitted directly to the public comment forum (see http://www.icann.org/en/public-comment/public-comment-201008-en.htm#pednr-initial-report) and/or you can provide your input by responding to the following short survey (see http://www.zoomerang.com/Survey/WEB22AUYRGHCV4). As prescribed by the ICANN by-laws, the public comment forum will remain open for a period of 20 days until 1 August 2010.
Deadline and how to submit comments
Comments are welcome via e-mail to pednr-initial-report at icann.org and/or by responding to the survey (http://www.zoomerang.com/Survey/WEB22AUYRGHCV4) until 1 August 2010.
Access to the public comment forum from which comments can be posted can be found at http://www.icann.org/en/public-comment/public-comment-201008-en.htm#pednr-initial-report.
An archive of all comments received will be publicly posted at http://forum.icann.org/lists/pednr-initial-report/.
* PEDNR PDP Initial Report – http://gnso.icann.org/issues/pednr/pednr-initial-report-31may10-en.pdf [PDF, 1.02 MB]
* PEDNR PDP Initial Report – Executive Summary
o English [PDF, 128 KB]
o العربية [PDF, 149 KB]
o 中 文 [PDF, 270 KB]
o Français [PDF, 220 KB]
o Español [PDF, 191 KB]
o Русский [PDF, 275 KB]
* PEDNR WG workspace – https://st.icann.org/post-expiration-dn-recovery-wg/
At the ICANN Meeting in Cairo in November 2008, the At-Large Advisory Committee (ALAC), voted to request an Issues Report on the subject of registrants being able to recover domain names after their formal expiration date. The ALAC request was submitted to ICANN policy staff and the GNSO Council on 20 November 2008. The Issues Report on Post-Expiration Domain Name Recovery [PDF, 422 KB] was submitted to the GNSO Council on 5 December 2008. The GNSO Council initiated a PDP on 7 May 2009 and tasked a Working Group to answer the following charter questions:
* Whether adequate opportunity exists for registrants to redeem their expired domain names;
* Whether expiration-related provisions in typical registration agreements are clear and conspicuous enough;
* Whether adequate notice exists to alert registrants of upcoming expirations;
* Whether additional measures need to be implemented to indicate that once a domain name enters the Auto-Renew Grace Period, it has expired (e.g., hold status, a notice on the site with a link to information on how to renew, or other options to be determined);
* Whether to allow the transfer of a domain name during the RGP .
The Post-Expiration Domain Name Recovery (PEDNR) PDP Working Group started its deliberations in July 2009.
Staff responsible: Marika Konings
Glen de Saint Géry
gnso.secretariat at gnso.icann.org
More information about the AfrICANN