[AfrICANN-discuss] ICANN 39 - Cartagena: Follow up issues

Katim S. Touray kaamt at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 22 12:39:16 SAST 2010

Dear all,

I join all the others in wishing you well and sending you season's greetings!

I'd like to bring up a few follow-up issues about the recently-concluded ICANN
39 meeting in Cartagena, Colombia (http://cartagena39.icann.org/):

	1. Support for needy gTLD applicants - you'll recall that efforts are on-going
(through the JAS Working Group) to develop proposals for supporting needy
developing countries applicants for new gTLDs.  A session was held on the
matter, and archives of the audiocast are available online
(http://cartagena39.icann.org/node/15499) .  In addition, a statement was issued
on the matter by the African ICANN community
(http://forum.icann.org/lists/jas-milestone-report/msg00000.html).  The JAS
Working Group has issued a milestone report and addendum, and both are available
for public comment until Jan. 10, 2011
(http://www.icann.org/en/public-comment/#jas-milestone-report).
	2. ICANN Strategic Plan - the 2011-2014 ICANN Strategic Plan has also been
posted for public comment.  The Strategic Plan spells out ICANN's strategic
objectives and activities to be carried out in the plan period.  The strategic
plan will be implemented through an operational plan and a budget, both of which
will be reviewed after the strategic plan is finalized.  Archives of the
audiocast and presentations at the Cartagena session on the ICANN strategic plan
are available at: http://cartagena39.icann.org/node/16009  As with the  JAS
Working Group reports, the strategic plan has also been posted for public
comment until Jan. 10, 2011
(http://www.icann.org/en/public-comment/#draft-strat-2011).I urge you to take
the time to review the above-mentioned documents, and provide your feedback on
them.  The JAS Working Group report will form the basis for efforts to support
new gTLD applicants from developing countries, and as such, could use valuable
input from those of us from these countries.

With regards to the ICANN strategic plan, it is important to realize that the
best way to have ICANN support activities would be to have them included in the
strategic plan.  If, for example, we want ICANN to support capacity-building in
ccTLD management, we must ensure that such an activity is in the strategic plan,
and is included in the operational plan, and the budget.  So the starting point
is the strategic plan, and we have to provide our thoughts on what areas and
activities ICANN should be engaged in.  If we don't, we run the risk of these
issues being omitted from the strategic plan, and hence, making it very
difficult, if not impossible, to get funding for them in the future.  It's
really as simple as that.

I guess that's about it for now.  Again, season's greetings, and best wishes for
a MERRY CHRISTMAS, and a HAPPY, HEALTHY, and PROSPEROUS NEW YEAR!!

Sincerely,

Katim