[AfrICANN-discuss] US screening new gTLD applicants against US laws

Vika Mpisane vika at zadna.org.za
Wed Dec 15 18:38:44 SAST 2010

Dear AfrICANN's

Please read Khaled Fattal's honourable submission at
http://forum.icann.org/lists/5gtld-guide/pdfIIMoPfVdQj.pdf and see what an
important and disturbing development the "final" new gTLD Draft Applicant
Guidebook gives us. I must admit that while I was bogged down to the ccNSO
and its council's business in Cartagena, this important matter escaped my
attention.

What is Africa's response to the DAG full granting the US government a right
to screen new gTLD applicants against the US (probably more supreme) laws? I
really think we can expect non-US people starting to push for alternative
DNS root seeing the current DNS is US' and US' alone! So if you're not a US
applicant and are from a country the US government considers to be
terrorist, then forget about getting your new gTLD! This is what this
exactly mean,

While I've been usually reserved regarding the ITU advances towards the DNS,
if ICANN continues to be a US govt entity as it is doing right now (even
when ICANN is supposed to move away from this reality through the
Affirmation), then who can blame the ITU or even other "Internet rebels" (or
should we not call them "Internet freedom fighters") who have come up with
alternative DNSes!

I hope subscribers to this list will make their governments aware of this
important matter (I believe some already have done so) and that our
governments and the AU will not disappoint in withstanding the US monopoly
of the currently dominant DNS. It must be fair to expect African governments
to express their position even before the ICANN board meets GAC in February
2011.

And I hope we won't hear another view that ICANN needs to first build our
capacity before we can respond to this straight-forward nonsense from the
ICANN DAG.

Regards,

Vika Mpisane

ZADNA