[AfrICANN-discuss] AFRALO - AfrIC ANN joint meeting

Dr Yassin Mshana ymshana2003 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 16:21:09 SAST 2010

Dear Tijani,

I saw the Call for the meeting to discuss African issues as described
below.

I wish to register my congratulations for having such a meeting.

I am however concerned with 2 main things:

   1. Did the African Region participants at the ICANN meeting have the
   opinion of all Africans on the issues discussed?
   2. Will the decisions or recommendations during the meeting have the
   consent of Africans?

An African colleague raised this concern with me for my observations which
is that: A small group of Africans can meet and discuss issues and even make
recommendations but those will *not *represent the opinion of Africans
unless a Consultation Process involving the whole community takes place.
This is in line with the Policy Development Process which the Internet
community adheres to.

Lastly, will you please share with the rest of Africans the deliberations
from that Group meeting. However, that does not mean that the process to
come to that point is acceptable.

In my opinion that will look like hijacking the African Community by a group
of representatives at the ICANN meeting.

I look forward to seeing the proceedings of that meeting for information
purposes.

Kind regards

Yassin Mshana
(tz)

Dear all,

Continuing on the Brussels initiative, I’m pleased to invite you to the
AFRALO – AfrICANN joint meeting that will be held in Cartagena, Colombia, on
Tuesday 7 December 2010 at 14:00.
The topics for this meeting will be:
•       Follow-up on of the African community statement on the support to be
provided to the new gTLD applicants who require assistance for applying for
and operating new gTLD in light of the ICANN board decisions last October.
•       Participation of the African community in the ICANN policy
development

 We will also welcome the new NomCom Chair Adam Peak who wanted to address
our community. He will be accompanied by a number of the NomCom members.

Please pass the information to all your networks, and we will be honoured to
see you tomorrow discussing those 2 very important issues.

--
c/o DFID-Sierra Leone
5 Off Spur Road

Skype: yassinmshana1