[AfrICANN-discuss] Will DNSSEC kill your internet?

ALAIN AINA aalain at trstech.net
Thu Apr 15 01:23:10 SAST 2010

On Apr 14, 2010, at 11:44 AM, McTim wrote:

> HI all,
>
> 2010/4/14 Anne-Rachel Inné <annerachel at gmail.com>:
> <snip>
>>
>> Internet users face the risk of losing their internet connections on 5 May
>> when the domain name system switches over to a new, more secure protocol.
>>
>> While the vast majority of users are expected to endure the transition to
>> DNSSEC smoothly, users behind badly designed or poorly configured firewalls,
>> or those subscribing to dodgy ISPs could find themselves effectively
>> disconnected.
>
> Is this actually correct or dodgy web "Journalism"??
>
> Isn't it the case that this will only happen if you are using a DNS
> server with DNSSEC turned on?
>  I would suggest there are very, very
> few of those on the Continent.

yes, and i am just wondering how many will try  to  enable dnssec on their recursive DNS server or use one of the tools(plugins for browsers,  resolvers, etc...) with dnssec  enabled by default we will see around  without really knowing what it means through  the dnssec fever.

I also noticed that the expression "when all13 roots are signed" is getting popular. DNSSEC does not sign server, it signs zone. We should say "When all the 13 roots are serving signed root zone"

thanks

--alain