[AfrICANN-discuss] Africa likely to be shaken off the internet

Mark Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Fri Oct 30 16:48:07 SAST 2009

On Fri, 2009-10-30 at 13:16 +0300, McTim wrote:
> Hi Douglas,
>
> On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 10:53 AM, Douglas Onyango
> <ondouglas at yahoo.com> wrote:
>         Rebecca,
>         The findings of the Augmentation study pointed out some
>         problems, including:-
>         1. Fall back to TCP because of truncation
>         2. High Memory usage on servers.
>         3. Increase in latency especially with BIND and big zone files
>         (100,000+) among others.
>
>         I do agree that some of the loads/tests are not practical at
>         the moment and even some can be mitigated, but overall IMHO
>         telling ourselves that we won't be affected would be wrong.
>

> There is much confusion around DNSSEC in Internet Governance circles.
>
> As Michuki pointed out to Rebecca earlier on the kictanet list, you
> have to turn on DNSSEC in your nameserver in order to have any effect.

I did this several months ago. No great change. I have scripts that
import the iTAR stuff and distribute it around my (DNS) network.

I also have a handful of domains that are signed (DNSSEC) and using
ISC's DLV Look-aside services.

They work just fine.

> I am of the opinion that African ISPs are going to be using DNS as it
> is for some time to come.  If you don't have DNSSEC enabled, you will
> use plain old "vanilla" DNS.

True. Most people should have upgraded old BIND systems anyway. Things
like EDNS0 should be allowing larger than 512 byte UDP packets in -
though being potentially blocked by (old?) firewalls - but thats true
for much of the world.

The (German) article was technically incorrect though - confusion
between the pre-EDNS DNS UDP packet size (512 bytes) and 512Kb
transfers...

Anyway - if you 'dig +dnssec diver.co.za' - the AD bit should be set :-)

OK - so I'm unusual.

--
  .  .     ___. .__      Posix Systems - Sth Africa
 /| /|       / /__       mje at posix.co.za  -  Mark J Elkins, SCO ACE,