[AfrICANN-discuss] Uproar Over Internet Costs in Kenya

Dr Yassin Mshana ymshana2003 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 11:22:22 SAST 2009

Hello there.
Thanks for the article.
The statement  below has been discusses over and over and again:

*"When we were initially setting up TEAMs the issue of recouping investments
after it had gone live did not feature," *

The issue is that, the technology is developing very fast and services will
continue getting cheaper. Every investor wishes to recoup their investments
before the technology becomes uneconomical and obsolete.

That is why 100% Private Sector may not be the solution to comfortably
provide services to the public without some elements of regulation. In the
same breath, the investor would not like to be at risk of making
irrecoverable loss.

Good day

Yassin

2009/10/30 Eric M.K Osiakwan <emko at internetresearch.com.gh>

> Uproar Over Internet Costs in Kenya
>
> The Kenyan Government has accused TEAMS shareholders of colluding to fix
> internet connectivity prices. Information and Communication PS Bitange Ndemo
> said the shareholders are making a massive 2,000 per cent from selling their
> capacity before the cable officially goes live. The shareholders have said
> that they will first have to recoup their investment before lowering the
> Internet connectivity prices.
>
> He said the shareholders should be selling internet connection at about
> $200 per Megabyte (MB) but the companies have held the price at about $4,000
> just below the current price of satellite. "When we were initially setting
> up TEAMs the issue of recouping investments after it had gone live did not
> feature," Dr Ndemo said.
>
> Some shareholders have confirmed that they are already using the signal,
> but charging at prices of satellite. "The shareholders are entitled to
> pre-sell their capacity although the cable has not yet been handed over to
> TEAMS for commercial operations," said Teams chairman, Michael Joseph. He
> said the official launch will be announced on Thursday.
>
> Teams undersea fibre optic cable landed on June 12 and has been since
> undergoing testing. The initial testing report was released on August 21. Dr
> Ndemo says some of the shareholders are sabotaging the government's bid to
> increase Internet access in Kenya by delaying the launch.
>
> In the cable, the Government of Kenya has a 20 per cent stake, Safaricom
> Limited 22.5 per cent and Telkom Kenya Limited 22.5 per cent. Others include
> Essar Telecom Kenya Ltd, Kenya Data Networks Ltd, Wananchi Telecoms, Access
> Kenya and Jamii Telecommunications Ltd. The investors say meaningful price
> reductions will take up to three years. Dr Bitange says the government may
> be forced to step in and regulate internet connectivity charges if the
> prices will not come down significantly in the next one month.
> (Source: Daily Nation)
>
> NB: Sorry for crossposting.
>

> Eric M.K Osiakwan
> Director