[AfrICANN-discuss] Food for thought : ICANN should be reformed before 'privatization'

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 09:23:26 SAST 2009

Hi Pierre,

Hope you are well.

On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 2:13 PM, Dandjinou Pierre <pdandjinou at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> This has just been released and is worth reading. Now, where do we, in
> Africa, stand in this debate? And how best could we promote the voices (if
> any?) of African business & Industry sectors and the Governments ?

Well this paper calls for ICANN to be overseen by it's users.
However, the paper says that the users are registries and registrars,
which I don't think is useful, as endusers are left out of the
equation.  In effect, AfriNIC and African ccTLD registries would be
asked to provide oversight.  I think ICANN is adequately overseen by
it's own BoD, I don't think we need to add another layer above that.

I would be very happy if we could get more African governments
involved in the GAC, but I don't think any other role for them would
be merited.

--
Cheers,

McTim