[AfrICANN-discuss] Mexico City '09

annerachel at gmail.com annerachel at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 16:47:40 SAST 2009

All,

Traditionally, there has not been any 'secretariat' at icann meetings for the African group. And the meeting has not been systematic because of low attendance by the region at times.... When it takes place, it is each time an opportunity for those who come to meet others and to exchange on what is happening at the different constituencies level so we can learn and contribute...to decisions being taken at icann and at home or elsewhere on ICT and icann issues.

This seldom happens whether in icann or any regional or international fora I know....as an example I know of and some will recognise, the region in one international organisation sent 1 comment in 3 years and 13 study groups despite the presence of experts.
As you know, comments from our region average zero also at icann.

So it seems we need to seriously review how we participate in all fora and maybe take more responsibility on 'making it happen', whether by traveling or participating remotely.

Best,
ar

PS: there won't a meeting in Mexico because of an already very busy schedule and the ALAC Summit. I will try keeping you posted as usual on this list.

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile