[AfrICANN-discuss] Public Comment: Geographic Regions Charter

Dr Yassin Mshana ymshana2003 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 03:47:59 SAST 2009

Thank you Glen for request for comments on this Geographic Regs Charter.

May I suggest to extend the Comment window to maybe April 2009 please?
Observed / Posible reasons being ONE:

The Geographic Regions may not have the facility to capture and share
comments within the time frame prescribed - out reaching a representative
(critical mass) may be differ from one Region to another  despite it being
 a fundamental component of ICANN.

I copyig this to relatively "small community" group but effective element of
the process for comments that may help to be make this Proces more
inclusive

Yassin

2009/2/18 Glen de Saint Géry <Glen at icann.org>

> http://www.icann.org/en/announcements/announcement-2-18feb09-en.htm
> Public Comment: Geographic Regions Charter

> A community-wide working group has been established by the ICANN Board to
> undertake a review of ICANN's Geographic Regions. The Working Group has
> developed a draft charter to guide its efforts. All members of the ICANN
> community are now invited to review that draft charter [PDF, 44K] and share
> comments and observations with the Board and community through 24 March
> 2009.
>
> Background:
>
> Geographic diversity is a fundamental component of the ICANN organization.
> The ICANN Bylaws (Article VI Section 5) currently define five geographic
> regions as Africa, North America, Latin America/Caribbean,
> Asia/Australia/Pacific and Europe.
>
> The ICANN Geographic Regions were originally created to ensure regional
> diversity in the composition of the ICANN Board and were subsequently
> expanded in various ways to apply to the GNSO, ALAC and ccNSO. An ICANN
> Board resolution in 2000 directed Staff to assign countries to geographic
> regions on the basis of the United Nations Statistics Division's current
> classifications, and introduced the concept of "citizenship" in relation to
> the definition of ICANN Geographic Regions.
>
> Over time, the Country Code Names Supporting Organisation (ccNSO) has
> developed concerns about the implementation of the ICANN Geographic Regions
> and related representational issues. The ccNSO Council approved a resolution
> in 2007 recommending that the ICANN Board appoint a community-wide working
> group to further study and review the issues related to the definition of
> the ICANN Geographic Regions, to consult with all stakeholders and submit
> proposals to the Board to resolve the issues relating to the current
> definition of the ICANN Geographic Regions.
>
> The Board determined at its meeting in Los Angeles on 2 November 2007, that
> because any potential change to ICANN Geographic Regions could have
> widespread effect in ICANN, the views of other Supporting Organizations and
> Advisory Committees should be sought by the Board. The Board asked the ICANN
> community, including the GNSO, ccNSO, ASO, GAC, and ALAC, to provide the
> ICANN Staff with input on the ccNSO Council's resolution relating to ICANN's
> Geographic Regions - including the proposal to appoint a community-wide
> working group to review the structure of ICANN's present Geographic Regions
> and related issues, as suggested by the ccNSO.
>
> Explanation:
>
> At its November 2008 meeting in Cairo, Egypt, the Board authorized the
> formation of a community-wide working group to study and review the issues
> related to the definition of the ICANN Geographic Regions, consult with all
> stakeholders, and submit proposals for community and Board consideration
> relating to the current definition of the ICANN Geographic Regions.

> [...]

Skype: yassinmshana1
Mobile: +234-803 970 5117

Do You really NEED TO PRINT THIS? Sure?