[AfrICANN-discuss] About the change of AfriNIC-9 venue!

Vika Mpisane vika at zadna.org.za
Thu Oct 23 23:04:02 SAST 2008

Hi Adiel,

It’s really saddening to see that some in the Ethiopian media have seen it
fit to write a long, baseless, and frankly ignorant article. I guess it’s
safe to assume that political paparazzi is alive & strong in Addis!

I don’t know what AfriNIC has done to deserve this (I haven’t attended an
AfriNIC meeting since Mauritius in 2006), but I’m certain the journalist
will need to explain some of the allegations. Has this journalist ever heard
of some entities called AfNOG, AfrISPA, Afren & AfTLD? The answer is
obviously not!

I’m also offended in particular by the allegation to the effect that AfriNIC
is pushing for dot Africa to operate from South Africa. While I can’t deny
or admit this allegation (me being not an AfriNIC member), I’m concerned
that it involves South Africa & may end up becoming an accusation against
South Africa trying to muscle its way to have dot Africa operated in SA. I’m
not at SA government to speak from a position of authority in this regard,
but as a South African, I’m greatly displeased with the article it tends to
make negative allegations about us.

I feel sorry for ETC for I don’t think they’ve done anything wrong (I’m
subject to correction). And I do hope that when calmness & sanity finally
prevails in this journalist’s mind (& possibly in the Ethiopian Ministry of
Transport – depending on how blameworthy they are in this). I hope they’ll
realize they’ve greatly missed a simple point big time & they went on a
crusade of innuendos not only against a particular organisation, but also
against another country (this being SA).

Hope you & the rest of AfriNIC keep well inspite of the baseless
accusations. Forward to AfriNIC Mauritius – I’m convinced Mauritius will
provide a suitable environment where informed participants will be able to
discuss the dot Africa project without undue journalistic & government
interference.

Regards,

Vika Mpisane

General Manager