[AfrICANN-discuss] Cairo Public Forum Response Published

Glen de Saint Géry Glen at icann.org
Wed Dec 17 22:44:34 SAST 2008

http://www.icann.org/en/announcements/announcement-15dec08-en.htm
Cairo Public Forum Response Published

A summary and response to questions raised at the public forum in Cairo has been published (see below for links).

The response seeks to capture the comments made during the public forum and, where possible, provide answers to questions raised. Input has been split into three areas - comments, questions and suggestions - and split up according to subject.

It also comes with the following foreword from Chairman Peter Dengate Thrush.

Note from the Chairman:

One of the most significant features of ICANN meetings is the Public Forum, where members of the ICANN community are able to present their views on issues of concern to them to the ICANN Board, in public session. The fact that we rotate meetings through each of the geographic sectors of the world enhances the opportunity that people from every region to present their views to the ICANN Board, in the presence of Staff and the whole ICANN community.

As a long-time participant from the floor presenting views, in my case from the ccTLD community, I am well aware of the time, effort and expense that goes into the preparation of such statements. As a board member, I have valued hearing those submissions, from individuals, governments and constituencies. I am determined as Chair to continue this tradition, and to maximise the opportunities for information sharing it represents.

I have been concerned, however that we have not always captured the inputs from these sessions, so in Cairo I asked Staff to review the comments made in the open microphone sessions of the Public Forum, and to provide responses to comments, and answers to questions that, in the interests of hearing from everyone wishing to speak, were not given on the day.

Those comments and answers are given below. I hope members of the community find this a useful process, and one which is worth continuing, after future Public Forums.

Thank you to those who contributed in Cairo. Please accept the Staff invitation to continue to contribute through the mechanisms they identify in the paper below.

Peter Dengate Thrush
Chairman, ICANN

Related links:

The response:
http://www.icann.org/en/participate/cairo-public-forum-response.html

The full transcript of the public forum:
http://www.icann.org/en/participate/cairo-public-forum-transcript.html

The response as a PDF file:
http://www.icann.org/en/participate/cairo-public-forum-response.pdf [PDF, 233K]

Glen de Saint Géry