[AfrICANN-discuss] Dubai ICANN regional meeting - and others

Anne-Rachel Inné annerachel at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 10:10:57 SAST 2008

All,

Khaled, thank you so much for sending this update. This initiative of a
regional meeting is part of  ICANN's experience in trying to be even closer
to regional communities on  subjects that are dear to them.

I know quite a few people in our community would also like to have specific
meetings on subjects that are of importance to us and I would like to hear
from them what they think those subjects are. We need to plan ahead as so
many meetings are coming up for the end of 2008 if anything is to be done.
In any case, I would appreciate your thought as we have started planning for
2009 too. As you may all recall, the ICANN fiscal year goes from July to
June.

I would like to also remind all of you that the 10th anniversary of ICANN
will be celebrated on African soil: 2-7 November 2008 Africa, most probably
Egypt so please put this on your calendar. Let's make it a big reunion!

Best regards,
ar

On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 3:57 PM, Khaled KOUBAA <khaled.koubaa at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Dear Colleague,
> ICANN has concluded its second regional outreach meeting and first one in
> the Middle East and North Africa region in Dubai from 1 to 3 April 2008.
> I am happy to see such effort to join effort from stakeholders in the
> region to achieve ICANN mission.
> The meeting was for me a success, and will create new participation
> channel from our region.
> Mr Mohamed AL Ghanim, Director General, Telecom Regulatory Authority of
> UAE and Mr Paul Twomey, President & CEO, ICANN opened the meeting where
> special keynoter and personalities from region and outside as Mr Talal
> Abu-Ghazaleh, Chairman, TAGOrg, Director, Technical Affairs, TRA, Mohammed
> Gheyath, participated in launching the work.
> The first day was concluded after a presentation of the ICANN Multi
> stakeholder model and very good presentation of Dr Al Zoman about the Arabic
> Script. The second day was dedicated fully to the IDN where we were
> specially happy to see the work of the Arabic Script IDN Working Group
> (ASIWG).
> The third day was more focusing on business by presenting some registries
> and some success registrar story form region such as TAGDomains and
> KuwaitNet, and some presentation about the new gTLDs process.
> I hope that ICANN strategic plan is to organize another outreach meeting
> in Africa, as I am sure all of you agree with me that we need such meeting.
> This is why I hope that Anne-Rachel will do the best to help on this.
>
> Khaled KOUBAA

Anne-Rachel Inne