[AfrICANN-discuss] Resending letter to ccTLD Managers (.Africa'sposition)

support support.dotafrica at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 08:17:29 SAST 2007

Hello Vika -

> Interesting & generally acceptable answers to the questionnaire.
 Thank you for your feedback and positive consensus.

> But I would like to ask for clarity on .africa: who is .africa right now?
I believe, it is a civil society project, so dot.africa in my view is
AFRICA.

> Are you part of a particular structure appointed to coordinate .africa?
I volunteered to create the structure where there was *none*; spent a lot
of time and effort over the past years to developing this structure, the
business
and financial case for it, and send it out to few active/interested people
in ICANN working on Africa, recruited resources, and finally after few
roadblocks and frequent flyer miles, got it endorsed by the appropriate
pan-african organizations and its stakeholders in Africa few months ago.
Progress was to be announced soon with other upcoming activities.

I suppose in my view and the organizations that I got the commitment from to

date, looke(d) at it as a serious level of 'coordination' effort.

I also kindly suggest that you advise with few people in your org who are
in supported of this structure and coordination.

> Who owns it?

It is owned by the African people.

> How far is this project?

It has been proposed for funding with various organizations and is been
publicized at
opportuned foras in Africa and overseas, a commitment have been made and it
is
very promising!.  In my last report to the group here, I have asked more
people to
get involved.  The sense I  got was that everyone would want to have their
own
dot.africa-;-)   Nonetheless, we are getting good feedback from
non-afri-ICANN
personalities and the diaspora is part of it, as they should be.

Allow me to mention hear, that we have addressed and sent a letter to your
.za 'authority ' and its 'appointees' almost 6 months back seeking your
 'expression of interest', but with no reply.  If you would like to get
involved,
it is NOT by invitation only,  I invite you to join and bring your
colleagues.
We run an inclusive, muti-stakeholder organization and our support comes
from our practice.

I hope this brings you up to date on the activities of dot.africa so far,
and
answers some of your questions.

Pls free to discuss further.  My skype contact is 'sbekele'
and phone/txt is 925-818-0948.

Best regards
Sophia