[AfrICANN-discuss] How to make the web go worldwide

Eric M.K Osiakwan emko at internetresearch.com.gh
Wed Oct 10 04:26:24 SAST 2007

The World Resource Institute and IFC next 4 billion market release
recently @ www.nextbillion.net/thenext4billion gives insight into how
to approach the bottom of the pyramid market based on C.K Prahalad's
formidable rendition of the fortune there off.

Both publications makes a case of how to approach this market and on
the device side, i give a lot of credence to the afforts of Nicholas
Nigroponte's $100 laptop because without the access devices being
within the means of the market, Internet is still far away.

The mobile revolution today is largely accreditted to the fact that
though the devices are COOL, they are AFFORDABLE so my mother in the
village can afford it and the service there off.

Eric here

On 9 Oct 2007, at 15:56, Anne-Rachel Inné wrote:

> How to make the web go worldwide
> By Darren Waters
> Technology editor, BBC News website, Athens
>

> Only one billion people out of the six billion-strong world
> population have internet access. So what is being done to connect
> up all the world's citizens?
> In South Korea more than 70% of homes have a high-speed broadband
> connection. It is probably one of the most connected areas on
> earth, with the possible exception of California and other
> localised parts of the US.
>
> Contrast that with Africa where out of a population of close to a
> billion people about 3.6% have net access and only 0.1% have
> broadband speeds.
>
> Often people say Africa needs food and water more than it needs
> broadband access and that may be true, in part, but the global
> economy is becoming reliant on the net and without access how can
> countries ever hope to be able to clothe, house and feed their
> citizens?
>
> It has taken a few decades for the net to reach a billion people,
> but how long will it take to reach two billion and where will those
> new net users be found?
>
> Jim Dempsey, of the US Center For Democracy and Technology, said:
> "The next 500 million will be easy because it will all come from
> China."
>
> Speaking at the Internet Governance Forum in Athens, he said: "The
> other 500 million will be spread around the world. I worry
> particularly about Africa being left behind here.
>
> "The hard problem, in my view, is Africa."
>
> Line noise
>
> Africa is not alone in struggling to keep pace with the online
> world - there are similar problems in parts of Asia, South America
> and the Middle East.
>
> And often the problems are common: lack of technical
> infrastructure, telecoms monopolies who do not have the financial
> means or motive to invest in technology, lack of competition,
> inequality of access compared with the Western world and a lack of
> local compelling online services.
>
> Craig Silliman, of network provider Verizon, said: "The number one
> factor in improving quality and price of access to networks is
> competition.
>
> "Why is there not more competition in many countries? What are the
> barriers?"
>
> Some at the conference felt access was needed to local loops - the
> local exchanges which effectively connect areas to the global net.
>

> Vincent Waiswa Bagiire, director of CIPESA, an initiative to
> educate Africans about telecoms policy, said: "How can we get
> independent regulation to unbundle monopolies to increase
> competition?"
> Professor Milton Mueller, of the Internet Governance Project, said
> the key to closing the infrastructure gap was the mobilisation of
> "local capital" so entrepreneurs on the ground could be helped to
> fund the much-need technology if big business was turning away.

> [...]

Eric M.K Osiakwan
ICT Integrator
Internet Research
www.internetresearch.com.gh