[AfrICANN-discuss] Africas Storied Colleges, Jammed and Crumbling

Dr Yassin Mshana ymshana2003 at gmail.com
Tue May 22 11:28:00 SAST 2007

Thanks Mawaki,

Talking about Distance-Learning to compliment Residential (Campus) teaching,
Yes! that has worked (but is limited) for example the African Virtual
University and also the GDLN of the World Bank Institute - it is possible
but sustainability has been the main issue.

Regarding Local Content to fill the pipes, Yes again! My observation is that
there is a substantial quality of local content. The problem is the
Perceived Value it has been given. Those who are still in or have passed the
teaching profession will tell you more about the frustration - development
of content requires  Commitment, Time, Talent and......Funds (money). When
it comes to funds.... you can guess that answer - local priorities kills it
all....

The main issue here is, "What can be done  Yesterday?"

Effort is being made of course but we have to look at our selves and ask,
"What can I do now to contribute towards the effort being made?"

Distance-Learning is still the main component of the solution, packing and
delivery of the content is the challenge.

Cheers

Yassin

On 22/05/07, Mawaki Chango <ki_chango at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> just catching up. indeed, the story is just as real as
> troubling, but looked from the technological angle and context,
> even more puzzling!
>
> a few years ago, I had the privilege to coordinate a UNESCO's
> distant education project (a little, pilot project) addressing
> telecentre managers. we were using the Worldspace radio with a
> software package called CLASS (combined live audio and slide
> show). the lectures were delivered through dialup from Maputo,
> Kampala and Ecuador, and the students in 5 or 6 countries
> including Ethiopia, Namibia, Tanzania, Uganda, and Zambia. The
> class went well with synchronous communication including slides
> and graphics as well as voice.
>
> The main problem encountered was preparing the infrastucture:
> setting the radio antenna in the line of sight of Afristar (the
> Worldspace sattellite beam on Africa.)
>
> That kind of technology has further developed since. Now there
> are many software packages, some proprietary (and used even in
> the US universities, for example) while some are open source
> (which African universities could tap into). Cities like Dakar
> and many other locations are well covered by Worldspace radio
> (at least at the time of the project I'm referring to,
> Worldspace Foundation and Francophonie seemed kin to collaborate
> on education projects with this technology.) Even where radio
> sattellite fails, it is possible to resort to asynchronous
> systems by recording lectures on presentation slides and find a
> way to distribute them effectively, etc. As AR says, at this
> point (and level of education) it's first about the content. And
> I don't really see what those students jamming the auditoriums
> and corridors to get a bit of a course will gain in those
> conditions, which they couldn't with a distance education tool.
>
> I don't mean to say everything is easy, and will be resolved by
> technology. one thing for sure, it would take or cost far less
> to use it than the cost of throwing away a whole generation (in
> fact, not even just one!) A bit of political attention could
> achieve a lot by mobilizing the relevant sponsors and
> specialized institutions to take the direction of the
> technological solutions already out there.
>
> Best,
>
> Mawaki
>
> --- Sophia B <sophiabekele at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Thanks for sharing AR.  I don't think you are dreaming, agree
> > with your
> > analogy below.  Also stresses the point that the Internet
> > economy if the
> > future, one that should be taken seriously by our leaders';
> >
> > ...but as the Senegalese student rightfully said:  "They fear
> > us because we
> > are the young, and the future belongs to us", which I can
> > expand to the
> > diaspora as well, in agreeing with Dr. Yassin.
> > Sophia

> [...]

c/o DFID-Nigeria
No. 10 Bobo Street
Maitama