[AfrICANN-discuss] Announcements this week and Annual Report

Anne-Rachel Inné annerachel at gmail.com
Mon Dec 24 17:35:41 SAST 2007

ICANN Posts 2007 Annual Report

Annual Report highlights organization's achievements and progress over
past 12 months

MARINA DEL REY, Calif. : The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names
and Numbers (ICANN) today released its second annual report, covering
in detail the organization's achievements and progress over the past
12 months.

"I am delighted to announce the release of our second annual report,"
said Dr Paul Twomey, ICANN's President and CEO. "As an organization we
have made great progress this year, both in terms of policy work and
in the quality of our operations. We have also made great efforts in
relation to transparency and accountability".

In addition to updates on the progress ICANN's supporting
organizations and advisory committees have made during 2007, the
report also includes a section on the progress towards the completion
of the Joint Project Agreement (JPA) with the United States Department
of Commerce.

"The JPA is in the midst of its scheduled mid-term review, and the
annual report highlights that ICANN has achieved the responsibilities
outlined in the Agreement," Dr Twomey said

"ICANN will also release documents in the near future that include its
submission to the JPA review and I ask commenters to examine this
documentation prior to making their own submissions," Dr Twomey added.

The complete annual report is available online at:
http://www.icann.org/annualreport/annual-report-2006-2007.pdf [PDF,
1,927K]

About ICANN:

ICANN is responsible for the global coordination of the Internet's
system of unique identifiers like domain names (like .org, .museum and
country codes like .uk) and the addresses used in a variety of
Internet protocols that help computers reach each other over the
Internet. Careful management of these resources is vital to the
Internet's operation, so ICANN's global stakeholders meet regularly to
develop policies that ensure the Internet's ongoing security and
stability. ICANN is an internationally organized, public benefit
non-profit company. For more information please visit: www.icann.org.

Media Contacts:

Jason Keenan
Media Adviser, ICANN (USA)
Ph: +1 310 382 4004
E: jason.keenan at icann.org

International: Andrew Robertson
Edelman (London)
Ph: +44 7921 588 770
E: andrew.robertson at edelman.com

Announcements This Week

Update: ICANN Projects Under Way to Improve Whois Accuracy

Compliance projects, intended to improve Whois data accuracy and Whois
service accessibility, are under way by ICANN.

ICANN Calls for Expressions of Interest from Potential Dispute
Resolution Service Providers for the New gTLD Program

ICANN is calling for Expressions of Interest from potential Dispute
Resolution Service Providers (DSRP) for the new gTLD Program.

New gTLD Program Updates

ICANN describes progress in developing potential implementation models
of the GNSO Policy recommendations for the introduction of new gTLDs

Request to Provide Input to Issue Report on Introduction of IDN ccTLDs

At its meeting on 2 October 2007, the ccNSO Council resolved to call
for an Issue Report to examine the need for a Policy Development
Process (ccPDP).

Notice of Implementation Date for WHOIS National Laws Procedure

ICANN is publishing a notice of implementation of the ICANN Procedure
for Handling WHOIS Conflicts with Privacy Law.

Upcoming Events

10 February - 15 February 2008: 31st International Public ICANN
Meeting - New Delhi, India10 February - 15 February 2008: 31st
International Public ICANN Meeting - New Delhi, India