[AfrICANN-discuss] AfriNIC Congratulate Dr. Nii Quaynor for its Award

Adiel A. Akplogan adiel at afrinic.net
Fri Dec 7 02:19:11 SAST 2007

http://www.afrinic.net/news/press/POSTELAWARD_2007_PRESS_RELEASE.pdf

Mauritius, December 06th 2007: Dr Nii Quaynor awarded John Postel Service
                                Award 2007

AfriNIC, the Regional Internet Registry for Africa, is very pleased to announce
that Dr. Nii Quaynor, convenor of AfNOG and one of the authors of the original
project plan to set up an African Internet Number Registry has been awarded the
Jonathan B. Postel Award at the IETF-70 meeting on 5th December 2007 which was
held in Vancouver Canada.

Dr. Nii Quaynor becomes the first African to receive this prestigious
award from
the Internet community. Each year, the Internet Society awards the Jonathan B.
Postel Service Award. The award is presented to an individual who has made
outstanding contributions in service to the data communications community.

Dr. Quaynor has selflessly pioneered Internet development and expansion
throughout Africa for nearly two decades, enabling profound advances in
information access, education, healthcare and commerce for African
countries and
their citizens, said Internet Society president Lynn St. Amour. Today, Dr.
Quaynor continues to champion not just technological advances but also African
involvement in Internet standards, processes and deployments, discussion on
Internet policies and regulations, and ensuring African interests are well-
represented globally. He has shaped a community of Africans who share
his vision
and reflect the dedication shown by Jon Postel.

According to Adiel A. Akplogan, the CEO of AfriNIC, This is an important
milestone for the African technical community presence in the International
forum. We expect this Award to have a huge impact on the community and will
certainly emulate more contribution and commitment for Internet Protocol
technology and it use for Development in the AfriNIC service region.

Dr. Nii Quaynor has pledged to dedicate his prize to contribute to the new fund
being setup by AfriNIC to support Internet development in Africa (African Fund
for Capacity Building, Research and Internet Development).

He said: We need to develop our young engineers to emulate the dedication to
network engineering as exemplified by Jon Postel. We have to harness the
pioneering work done by the dedicated technical leadership who have trained
hundreds of young engineers through AfNOG and AfriNIC. The fund will make a
difference in support for education and research of young engineers in Africa.

We would like all the African community to join us to congratulate Dr Nii
Quaynor for his great contribution to the Internet community in Africa.
AfriNIC is a non-governmental and not-for-profit membership based organisation.
Its main role is to serve Africa region as Regional Internet Registry, like the
four other continents which have their own RIR.

AfriNIC's mission is To provide professional and efficient distribution of
Internet number resources to the African Internet community, to
support Internet
technology usage and development across the continent and strengthen self
Internet governance in Africa by encouraging a participative policy
development.

To contact AfriNIC: t: +230 4666616, f: +230 4666758, e: press at afrinic.net

More about the Postel Service Award: http://www.isoc.org/awards/