[AfrICANN-discuss] Are Europe's children too confident in tackling online risks?

Anne-Rachel Inné annerachel at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 19:30:39 SAST 2007

This is a concern globally.... do you know of initiatives in your countries?
I imagine, the sooner we teach kids about security on the Internet in
general, the better sheperds of the tool they become for themselves and for
all of us... cheers and nice week end.
ar
*Are Europe's children too confident in tackling online risks? * *Can
parents trust their 13 year old daughter when she surfs the web? Do they
know for sure that their 11 year old son's mobile phone conversation is
safe? A Commission survey of children from all over Europe has looked into
how they use new media. It shows that the use of internet and mobile phones
has become almost self-evident for Europe's young generation. In general,
they also know the risks of using the internet and mobile phones. However,
when facing trouble online, minors will ask an adult only as a last resort.
*

"This is the first time children all across Europe have been asked directly
how they use online technologies, how much they browse for fun and for
schoolwork, and how they deal with risks," says Viviane Reding, European
Commissioner for Information Society and Media. "It is encouraging to see
Europe's youth embrace digital technologies so confidently. The capability
of making active use of new media is key for the development of a
knowledge-based society in Europe. At the same time, these survey results
underline Europe's need for proactive online media education. We must also
continue to raise awareness about the opportunities and risks of new media,
especially among parents. Where the security of our children is at stake,
there can be no room for complacency."

Eurobarometer's qualitative survey interviewed children of 9-10 and 12-14
years old from all 27 EU Member States plus Norway and Iceland. They were
asked in-depth about how they use online technologies, and how they would
react to problems and risks when using the internet and mobile phones.

The survey shows that children use technologies in very similar ways all
across Europe. Online gaming, surfing and communication are considered as
the top activities online while texting, and talking with parents and
friends come out top for young mobile users.

The majority use the internet several times a day, and also own a personal
mobile phone. Internet use is to some extent limited by parents while the
use of mobile phones is much freer and less supervised.

As one child said: "My parents tell me not to stay more than one or two
hours, because it harms your eyes. I would like to stay longer but they are
right" (Boy, 9-10 years old, Romania)

The results show that children are globally well aware of the* potential
online risks*, such as security, viruses, access to unwanted content,
identity theft and potential dangerous contact with strangers.

"The hackers are a danger, they may spread viruses that destroy the hard
disk or copy all that we have in the computer, passwords, documents, etc."
(Boy, 9-10 years old, Portugal)

Many of them are also well aware of the *necessary precautions* they need to
take.

"Don't give your personal data on the internet, nor your mobile phone number
to people you don't know" (Girl, 12-14 years old, Luxembourg)

Some children nevertheless admitted that they have engaged in *risky
behaviour*, and some acknowledged that they have been victims of bullying
and had contacts with strangers.

"I met him at a station and then it was an old, nasty 44 year old man. Then
I walked away!" (Boy, 12-14 years old, Denmark)

Even though young people know about of the risks and precautions, most would
rather try to *solve the problem themselves or with friends*, and would talk
to their parents only as a last resort in the most serious cases.

"I would tell anybody except my parents, I would be too much afraid that my
mother finds confirmation of what she fears and prevents me from going to
chat rooms".(Girl, 9-10 years old, Germany)

Eurobarometer's results will help the Commission to further refine how the
EU's Safer Internet programme can best contribute to internet and mobile
phone child safety throughout Europe. It follows the agreement by European
mobile operators, brokered by the Commission in Spring 2007, to self
regulate their efforts to protect minors using mobile phones (see
IP/07/139<http://www.europa.eu/rapid/pressReleasesAction.do?reference=IP/07/139&format=HTML&aged=0&language=EN&guiLanguage=en>
).

The next Safer Internet Day will be on 12 February 2008.

*Background information: *

The EU's Safer Internet programme has been running since 1999, promoting a
safer use of online technologies particularly by children, and fighting
illegal and harmful content ranging from child abuse images to racism. The
current phase (Safer Internet plus) will run until 2008 (see
IP/06/1512<http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleasesAction.do?reference=IP/06/1512&format=HTML&aged=0&language=EN&guiLanguage=en>,
MEMO/07/44<http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleasesAction.do?reference=MEMO/07/44&format=HTML&aged=0&language=EN&guiLanguage=fr>).

The annual Safer Internet day highlights such initiatives globally and helps
raise awareness of the issues surrounding safer use of the internet and new
technologies (see
IP/07/140<http://www.europa.eu/rapid/pressReleasesAction.do?reference=IP/07/140&format=HTML&aged=0&language=EN&guiLanguage=en>,
IP/06/126<http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleasesAction.do?reference=IP/06/126&format=HTML&aged=0&language=EN&guiLanguage=en>,
IP/05/148<http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleasesAction.do?reference=IP/05/148&format=HTML&aged=0&language=EN&guiLanguage=en>,
IP/04/171<http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleasesAction.do?reference=IP/04/171&format=HTML&aged=0&language=EN&guiLanguage=en>).

*For more information:*

http://ec.europa.eu/saferinternet

Findings from the Eurobarometer on Children's use of online technologies:

http://ec.europa.eu/information_society/activities/sip/eurobarometer/

--
Anne-Rachel Inne