[AfrICANN-discuss] Comments on .xxx

Alan Levin alan at futureperfect.co.za
Thu Apr 5 08:43:39 SAST 2007

Hi,

I think this discussion is largely academic as the deed is done.

I am confused though why is .xxx considered based on peoples personal
views?
I do not wish to cast any personal opinion on the specifics to .xxx
as I am in two minds but I think it's important to keep in mind:

- ICANN was established (amongst other things but largely) to
introduce and maintain competition in the domain name space

- It's easier to google xxx than type an URL xyz.xxx

- Susan Crawford makes observations from a PDP process perspective:
>  >>SUSAN CRAWFORD: Mr. Chairman, I cannot vote in favor of this
> resolution. I'll have more to say when we vote. But in this
> discussion period, I wanted to note for my colleagues that I've
> looked back at the RFP and the proposed contract. In the request
> for proposals, we set forth a definition of the sponsored TLD
> community which said the proposed sTLD must address the needs and
> interests of a clearly defined community which can benefit from the
> establishment of a TLD operating in a policy formulation
> environment in which the community would participate.
>
> And we asked applicants to demonstrate that the community is
> precisely defined so it can readily be determined which persons or
> entities make up that community, and also to state that the
> community was comprised of persons that have needs and interests in
> common, but which are differentiated from those of the general
> global Internet community.
>
> We also asked applicants to provide evidence of support for their
> application from their sponsoring organization.
> It seems to me that the applicant here has identified a sponsored
> community for dot XXX as a self-identified group of adult
> webmasters who wish to work together to implement industry best
> practices in a specific and easily identifiable marketplace. They
> propose to provide a forum for interaction and policy development.
> And they assert that these are needs that are not being met
> elsewhere, the needs of creating and enforcing industry best
> practices.
>
> They have submitted letters of support to us from members of the
> adult entertainment community that they assert include supporters
> from many countries and major providers of adult entertainment.
> They have also told us that since the first of June of 2006, more
> than 76,000 strings from at least 1,000 unique registrants have
> been prereserved in triple X, with instructions from ICM that only
> qualified applicants should request such preregistrations.
>
> ICM has told us that these prereservations have come from
> prospective registrants in triple X who are operating bona fide
> adult sites in other TLDs whose existing sites are providing adult
> entertainment or services to the adult entertainment industry, and
> whose existing site was registered prior to May 2006, the date the
> board rejected a proposed triple X contract.
>
> I've also looked back at the GAC communique conveyed to us in
> Wellington, and I have compared it to the revised agreement,
> appendix S. And I do think the GAC's concerns have been adequately
> addressed.
>
> This has been a very difficult topic for us as a board. We've had
> extensive discussion, reasonable board members can differ about
> these issues. But I wanted to make clear in this discussion period
> what my views are of the criteria here.
>
> Thank you.

and later:
> [...]
> to block such content. Also, if certain governments want to ensure
> that all adult content providers with a physical presence in their
> country register exclusively within triple X, that is their
> prerogative as well.
>
> I note as a side point that such a requirement in the U.S. would
> violate the first amendment to our Constitution.
>
> But this content-related censorship should not be ICANN's concern
> and ICANN should not allow itself to be used as a private lever for
> government chokepoint content control.
>
> >>VINT CERF: Susan --
>
> >>SUSAN CRAWFORD: I am almost done.
>
> >>VINT CERF: No, no, no. I was asking you to slow down. The scribes
> are not able to keep up with you. I think you want this to be on
> the record.
>
> >>SUSAN CRAWFORD: I do, and I will give it to them also in typed form.
>
> ICANN should not allow itself to be used as a private lever for
> government chokepoint content control by making up reasons to avoid
> the creation of such a TLD in the first place.
>
> To the extent there are public policy concerns with this TLD, they
> can be dealt with through local laws.
>
> Registration in or visitation of domains in this TLD is purely
> voluntary. If ICANN were to base its decisions on the views of the
> Australian or U.S. or Brazilian government, ICANN would have
> compromised away its very reason for existence as a private non-
> governmental governance institution.
>
> So in conclusion, I continue to be dissatisfied with elements of
> the proposed triple X contract, including but not limited to the
> rapid take-down provision of Appendix S, which is manifestly
> designed to placate trademark owners and ignores the many of the
> due process concerns that have been expressed about the existing UDRP.
>
> I am confident that if I had a staff or enough time, I could find
> many things to carp about in this draft contract. I'm equally
> certain if I complained about these terms, my concerns would be
> used to justify derailing this application for political reasons.
>
> I plan, therefore, as my colleague Peter Dengate Thrush has said,
> to turn my attention to the new gTLD process that was promised for
> January 2007, a promise that has not been kept, in hopes that we
> will some day have a standard contract and objective process that
> can help ICANN avoid engaging in unjustifiable ad hoc actions.
>
> We should be examining generic TLD applicants on the basis of their
> technical and financial strength. We should avoid dealing with
> content concerns to the maximum extent possible. We should be
> opening up new TLDs. I hope we will find a way to achieve such a
> sound process in short order. Thank you.
> [ applause ]
>
> >>VINT CERF: Since we are in a voting phase, Susan, you also need
> to cast your vote.
>
> >>SUSAN CRAWFORD: I began my statement, Mr. Chairman, by casting my
> vote.
>
> >>VINT CERF: Which was no? Okay, thank you.

hth

alan